Discuss Changing a light fixture... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spears

-
Reaction score
I want to change the nasty looking light fitting in my daughters room. Simple enough, grabbed a new pendant type rose thing (can you tell I’m a pro?) and started to take off the current fixture.

Here is where the issues began, I was expecting the normal 3 wire setup but I was met with...

http://[img src="https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/4K2sznL.jpg" style="max-width:100%;"] https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/4K2sznL.jpg

What do I do here? Is there a simple rose I can chuck on here to end in a bulb holder?

I normally hate answers like I am about to give but 90% of my call outs are from people who are at the point you are now and then try to fit the rose and it all goes wrong. If you have to ask you probably should not be doing it and in the long run it will be cheaper to get a local electrician to drop in and do it for you.

You are possibly absolutely correct! If it was a nice a simple swop and I am overlooking something then I would be up for giving it a go, but if it's tricky then I will be getting someone in.

You are possibly absolutely correct! If it was a nice a simple swop and I am overlooking something then I would be up for giving it a go, but if it's tricky then I will be getting someone in.[/QUOTEt
Any connector blocks tapped joints beyond what you can see? tucked up in the ceiling?

It's not tricky when you know how but I have seen it loads of times, the last thing you want is your electrics tripping because one of the many cables you are likely to find attached to that fitting will probably end up in the wrong connector. An electrician will also be able to test the continuity of the protective conductor back to your consumer unit to make sure it is all safe.

Wow that doesn't sound cheap, if you were to throw a ball park figure Rolyberkin what would you (completely guess I understand without seeing the actual job) estimate the cost?

It is a simple and straight forward quick job. I would suggest anywhere between £30-£75 depending on whether the electrician is coming to you especially or doing it as a quick job when passing, difficult to say really depending on location.

I haven’t had a check yet, I took the light off and got confused and put it back. I will have a dig around tomorrow and update.

Reply to Changing a light fixture... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net