Discuss Changing a single outdoor switch plate to a fountain to a combo with an outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The previous owners of our property had non in ground rated electrical hardwired into the basement from an outdoor submerged pond fountain. Needless to say it was causing issues. I disconnected and dug up the corroded wiring which went into a switch plate on the outside wall. Layed down new "in-ground" rated wiring but also ran it through conduit as extra durability for the high trafficked area. However I'd like to switch out the old single switch wall plate with an outlet/switch combo. I could use an outlet back there and yes I plan to install a weatherproof cover over that. As it is, the outlet is also protected by a solid covered upper deck, meaning concrete not wood planks. I've attached photos of the project showing how they had the old switch connected and the new one I'd like to apply. My question is will the 3 wires I have to work with on each end (ground, hot, neutral) suffice in hooking up this combo? I'd like just the fountain to be controlled by the switch still but the outlet to remain on all the time. Thank's for y'alls time.

20220422_130101.jpg20220422_130126.jpg20220422_130210.jpg
20220422_130225-jpg.97186

Attachments

• 20220422_130225.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 15
So you want the receptacle to be permanently on and the switch to control the fountain if I have read this correctly if so yes this can be done. Is it GFCI protected.
You have cut the new cable very short.

Last edited:
So you want the receptacle to be permanently on and the switch to control the fountain if I have read this correctly if so yes this can be done. Is it GFCI protected.
You have cut the new cable very short.
Yes and yeah, I pulled the cable up a bit more to allow longer leads. I pig tailed the ground and common to the terminals and everything seems to work fine. However, now I find the new combo needs a deeper box to push everything in....

Yes and yeah, I pulled the cable up a bit more to allow longer leads. I pig tailed the ground and common to the terminals and everything seems to work fine. However, now I find the new combo needs a deeper box to push everything in....
Just change the box and make it bigger. They make single gang boxes deeper

Reply to Changing a single outdoor switch plate to a fountain to a combo with an outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net