Discuss Changing a UK BS 1363 plug top for a european plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pumpkinbreath

Hi all

Iv'e wired up a bunch of vintage tin lamps for someone, all with appropriatly rated fuses and the earth crimped onto the metal box using a nut and bolt. They've all been PAT tested and have passed. Now they want one converted so it has a european plug. As far as I can tell EU plugs only have live/neutral pins so what about the earth? These lamps are all metal inside and out so if anyone knows anything about EU plugs/regs/earthing I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

I assume the EU plug you mean is a Schuko. They come with an earth connection but it's not a pin like it is on the UK plus. Google 'Schuko plug' for more info.

It's worth noting that there are other types of EU plugs that are in general use, a lot depends on the exact location in Europe they intend to use it so it might be worth double checking with the customer.

The 2-pin Europlug (CEE 7/16) will fit almost everywhere in Europe but has no earth. However most EU countries do have earthed sockets, you simply have to use the correct earthed plug for the country.

As Marvo says, the most common is Schuko (CEE 7/4), with side contact earth. Also common is the French type (CEE 7/5) with the earth pin in the socket and a hole in the plug. You can get dual-format plugs (CEE 7/7) which fit both of these, as they have side contacts and the earth hole. This is the type normally supplied with goods for the EU, and that is what I would fit, unless the destination was one of the countries with their own unique earth pin configuration such as Denmark or Switzerland.

It is usually possible to construct a metal lamp in a double-insulated configuration too, which is common these days for domestic lighting. In that case it can be fitted with a CEE 7/16 Europlug.

Oops, post crossed with above

Reply to Changing a UK BS 1363 plug top for a european plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net