Discuss Changing BT to NTE5 Master Socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Hi all, i have a question.....

is it easy to change a BT socket to an NTE5 Master Socket?

I've never done any BT stuff before so its all new to me!

any help / advice is much appreciated. (the sooner the better :) )

Cheers!

I was hoping someone on here could tell me!!!! LOL

After a bit of searching i found this, still dont totally get it!
NTE5 master telephone sockets

from what i can work out if its the 1st point in the circuit and there is no extension on from it then its just 2 cores from the cable that comes in from outside.

but im sure ive heard that the 2 core and 1st point that comes in belongs to BT and is ellegal to touch/alter unless you are a BT engineer.

ahhhh....master telephone socket....i see the light!! should be easy enough to change, depending on what's there of course. is there not one installed already? have a good link somewhere for phone wiring, will have a look-see.

here we go:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone%20Wiring.htm

wouldn't worry bout the whole legality thing tbh. :)

From wikipedia (dunno if this helps):

"Now that BT does not have a monopoly of internal wiring, they make a substantial charge if a fault reported to them turns out to be in the customer's internal/domestic wiring. It is therefore important for the customer to have the facility to check whether any problem or fault is in their internal wiring/equipment or externally in BT's cabling or systems. Since the NTE5 socket represents the official demarcation point between the internal/domestic wiring (at the removable front of the socket which is the customer's responsibility) and the external telephone line/cabling fixed at the rear (which is BT's responsibility) the physical disconnection of the two wirings (made possible by the NTE5's removable front plate) is crucial in identifying faults and allocating responsibility for their rectification."

Last edited by a moderator:
good link, cheers for that.

from what he has said there is a master socket there but its not an NTE5 one. does this sound correct?

im so paranoid about this sort of thing! i have a small ad in gumtree and it has come from that, but then i start to think 'oh if its illegel what if its a set up' so stupid i know! the guy told me BT charge around £160 to come out before they even do anything!!!

such a small job but a job none the less! lol

Right, this is what you do.

Take the incoming line pair (in the cable from the pole outside) to the screw terminals.

Your extentions to the rest of the house connect to the IDC terminals on the front removable plate. Use all four wires or you will have problems with extentions not ringing, and also back tinkling. You can daisy chain or star wire, it makes no difference, although it can be difficult to get lots of wires into the socket, so daisy chaining is best IMHO

Just connect to terminals 2,3,4 & 5. Ignore 1 & 6

Any probs and I will help where I can.:)

lovely, thanks for that.

any idea why they would want a different master socket???

oh and is it bad that i havnt a clue what 'daisy chaining' or 'star wiring' is?

Right, this is what you do.

Take the incoming line pair (in the cable from the pole outside) to the screw terminals.

Your extentions to the rest of the house connect to the IDC terminals on the front removable plate. Use all four wires or you will have problems with extentions not ringing, and also back tinkling. You can daisy chain or star wire, it makes no difference, although it can be difficult to get lots of wires into the socket, so daisy chaining is best IMHO

Just connect to terminals 2,3,4 & 5. Ignore 1 & 6

Any probs and I will help where I can.:)

Doh - just when I can offer some help someone beats me to it :mad: :D :D

You don't really need the wire on 4 these days as this was the balance wire for the older type of phones to stop bell tinkle. Try not to have any more than 2 wires on the IDC terminals as sometimes loose connections here cause problems.

Also, slightly off topic, but crappy extension wiring can cause havoc with DSL speeds so if you are experiencing poor downstream rates try disconnecting the extension cable.

lovely, thanks for that.

any idea why they would want a different master socket???

oh and is it bad that i havnt a clue what 'daisy chaining' or 'star wiring'
is?

Daisy chaining is like a radial circuit, start at master socket then link to extention no 1, then from extention 1 to extention 2 and so on and when you get to the last one thats it.

Star wiring is wiring each socket back to the master individually, but you will end up with loads of wires to connect up, and as has been said, its difficult to get them all in the terminals and they can pop out when you try to screw it back !

Is it the entry point socket that you wish to change?

If it is, then I think you will find it illegal to interfer with this BT socket and any other telecomminication companies incoming socket. That is why the fit the type they do where you can connect on to the front plate of the socket but not the actual incoming cable.

Last edited:
cheers for all the replies guys!

for such a small job i decided not to do it just in case i get a smacked bum! lol

thanks again! :D

I would do it. Who is going to know, and how can they prove it was you ? Could BT be bothered. I done it loads, BT engineers are usually ok and dont realy give a crap !

I am fitting warden call alarms in old peoples places connecting into the bt master point i asked the bt eng down the road and his attitude was as long as you know what you are doing and dont **** it up no one will care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fitting warden call alarms in old peoples places connecting into the bt master point i asked the bt eng down the road and his attitude was as long as you know what you are doing and dont F*** it up no one will care.

BT will charge the occupier if they have buggered BT's wiring or have contacted BT about faulty extensions, having said that BT domestic wiring isnt difficult PABX isnt difficult just cumbersome.... REN rating is the tricky bit not the wiring

cheers for all the replies guys!

for such a small job i decided not to do it just in case i get a smacked bum! lol

thanks again! :D

It is fine for you to replace the master with an NTE as long as you have the knowledge to do it. If you mess it up BT will charge you to put it right. Jim

as previously said, it's a doddle. 2 incoming to terminals 2 & 5. long as it's done right, who's to know who done it and when. BT don't give a monkeys. as long as you don't cock it up and have to have BT out.

Reply to Changing BT to NTE5 Master Socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock