• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Changing garage Mcbs for Rcbos

Discuss Changing garage Mcbs for Rcbos in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Eartheo

New EF Member
My garage has a small consumer unit fitted with elcb and mcbs for the socket and lights. After cutting through a circular saw cable it did not take out the garage elcb but the elcb in the house consumer unit. If I get an electrician to changed the mcbs for Rcbos would this prevent the house elcb tripping should I be so daft to do this again. If you don’t think this is suitable what should I request to the electrician to be done.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
If you don’t think this is suitable what should I request to the electrician to be done.
get a spark in to change the garage off the elcb to non side . but keep the garage on its own elcb .

Strima

Electrician's Arms
You have two RCDs in series, this is a poor design and really needs correcting.

Not dangerous but annoying when you have to walk back to the house to reset and it also takes out other protected circuits in the property.

Eartheo

New EF Member
get a spark in to change the garage off the elcb to non side . but keep the garage on its own elcb .
Ill ask elect to do that
get a spark in to change the garage off the
thanks I’ll get him to do that

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
well at least the cost of repairing /replacing the cut cable is a cheaper way of testing a RCD than buying a "proper" tester.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]