Discuss Changing hall ceiling light affects bathroom light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have taken down an old hall ceiling light and I have 3 wires which are the same grey colour. Whatever way I rewire them to the new light fitting it affects the bathroom light. If I wire them in one configuration I can have the hall light on or both the hall and bathroom lights on at the same time but never the bathroom on its own.

The wire that I have:
Wire 1 will be live when I turn on the hall switch
Wire 2 will be live when I turn on the bathroom switch and have a working light bulb in the bathroom.
Wire 3 does not light up with the phase tested at all so I assume it is the neutral wire

What I have wired at the moment:
I have wire 1 wired into the Live section of the light
I have wire 3 in the Neutral Section

The hall light works fine. I have tried wire 2 in the Live/Neutral/Loop section of the hall light fitting and I either dont get the bathroom light working or it will only work when the hall light is switched off. I feel light I have tried every combination but I am obviously missing something.

The new light fitting has 1 Live, 3 Loop, 2 Neutral sections empty. The old light fitting seems to only have 1 Live and 1 Neutral.

Many thanks for any advice

Need some pictures. Don't suppose you took one before you disconnected it all.

Unfortunately I didn't get to take a picture before I disconnected the old one. I normally do but I had to cut the old one down with a Dremil as it had been plastered and painted into the ceiling over the years by the previous owner of the house.

Here is a photo of the current setup.

Changing hall ceiling light affects bathroom light IMG_5253 - EletriciansForums.net

Changing hall ceiling light affects bathroom light IMG_5252 - EletriciansForums.net

If the wiring at that ceiling rose affects the bathroom light then something seems wrong at that rose. They all appear to have red insulation but I suspect there are two neutrals and a switch line return.

Last edited:
If the wiring at that ceiling rose affects the bathroom light then something seems wrong at that rose. They all appear to have red insulation but I suspect there are two neutrals and a switch line return.
That's what I was indicating, above. I don't like giving answers to the uninitiated, just the odd clue.
Seems like it's in Ireland, a diy job...…..ask Risteard?

I have managed to solve the issue. It was a shared neutral wire coming from the bathroom. I thought it was a switched hot wire because I got a reaction from the phase tester.

What gave a clue was that I had to use a working light buld in the bathroom to get a reading on wire 2 which lead me to think it was a return neutral wire from the bathroom rather than a hot switch wire like I thought.

That's what I was indicating, above. I don't like giving answers to the uninitiated, just the odd clue.
Seems like it's in Ireland, a diy job...…..ask Risteard?
Terribly sorry Old Chap.

Reply to Changing hall ceiling light affects bathroom light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock