Discuss Changing light switch faceplate, confused!?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Laurayale

DIY
Reaction score
I’m changing all my light switch and plus sockets to metal from plastic. I went to change the light switch in my daughters room and behind the old plastic faceplate there there 3 brown wires, one wired into L1 and then two wires going into COM, I’ve changed the faceplate to metal and put the L1 back into L1 on the metal and then put one of the brown wires from COM into COM and then one into earth. Is this right or should I just wire it the same as the plastic and put two brown wires into COM???

You will potentially make the earth live, which means any thing connected to earth will be live including the face plate.
Its not advisable for you to continue with this on your own. there are certain safety measures that need to be checked before converting from plastic to metal fittings.
Get a qualified electrician in to make sure everything is ok firstly.

Why would you wire it differently to the existing and what thought process would guide you to this ?
Why would you choose to ask an internet forum instead of reading the connection instructions ?

I smell a wind up.

A great example of how a little knowledge cab be extremely dangerous. Leave it alone and phone someone competent before you injure yourself or a family member.

I had a customer that did the same thing as this. The best bit about it was that he is a fully trained mechanical engineer. Darwin awards springs to mind...!

Reply to Changing light switch faceplate, confused!?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock