Discuss Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Trying to change out an old 1980 dual wall ceiling fan light switch , but the old wiring doesn't seem to have the same type of wiring as the new switch we bought. Inside of the old switch it looks as though they split and then soldered the black wiring underneath the casing so they could connect it separately to the two individual control knobs (one for light switch, and one for fan) Sorry, I don't know the exact terminology . Any help/guidance is truly appreciated.
I'm including pictures of old and new wall switches along with a picture of the wiring in our wall. We also removed the blue wall casing and looked inside wall for additional wiring ,but found no additional wiring.

***We originally started this project due to lights continuously flickering over a period of time. Our ceiling fan has 6 bulbs, so when the flickering starts its like a strobe light show in our living room lol. We've tried using different type bulbs ,which will work at first , but it doesn't last very long before they start flickering ***

Attachments

• Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) old switch 1 - EletriciansForums.net
    old switch 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) old switch 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    old switch 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) old switch 3 - EletriciansForums.net
    old switch 3.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) new wall switch 1 - EletriciansForums.net
    new wall switch 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) new wall switch 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    new wall switch 2.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) new wall switch 3 - EletriciansForums.net
    new wall switch 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) wall wirin - EletriciansForums.net
    wall wiring.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 8
The old switch appears to have a pre-wired hot wire the new one doesn't. There is a terminal on the new switch which would appear to need a hot connection. What do the instructions say.

The old switch appears to have a pre-wired hot wire the new one doesn't. There is a terminal on the new switch which would appear to need a hot connection. What do the instructions say.
I wasn't the one directly installing it, let me look at the instructions. Thank you for your reply!

Reply to Changing out old 80's wall light switch , help needed :) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock