Discuss changing over shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davetherave1979

Have a customer who wants to swap the broken shower for a direct replacement same make load etc is this ok to change if there is no rcd or should I tell them that this must be fitted.

Like for like swop using existing wiring = no need for rcd to be added IMO.
Its prefered , but not mandatory.
The installation will be no more unsafe than before will it ?

had a customer afew weeks back bought a 9.5kw shower that they wanted me to fit. Cable run ran within a plastered wall,then insulated (rock wool) stud work, across extra insulated loft (free insulation crew had been in), pull switch then back in loft to shower. Cable run was about 28metres so worked out 10mm t&e needed.......BUT manufacturers instructions stated for a run of 30metres 6.0mm was fine (no other info about diversity given).

Knowing it needed to be 10mm but instructions claiming 6.0mm is fine where does this manufacturer's stuff fit in with that????

After much conversation and having to prove calcs to customer (secondary school maths teacher of all things) eventualy agreed 10mm needed at extra expense.

Dont forget that the manufacture instructions are based on several different models.

a 6mm would be fine for any shower under 8.5kW.

I would still say have to be 10mm as a min for a 9.5kW shower - see your point though with the maths teacher

had a customer afew weeks back bought a 9.5kw shower that they wanted me to fit. Cable run ran within a plastered wall,then insulated (rock wool) stud work, across extra insulated loft (free insulation crew had been in), pull

Iswitch then back in loft to shower. Cable run was about 28metres so worked out 10mm t&e needed.......BUT manufacturers instructions stated for a run of 30metres 6.0mm was fine (no other info about diversity given).

Knowing it needed to be 10mm but instructions claiming 6.0mm is fine where does this manufacturer's stuff fit in with that????

After much conversation and having to prove calcs to customer (secondary school maths teacher of all things) eventualy agreed 10mm needed at extra expense.

In this situation i dont see how a manufacterer can specify 1 cable size is the same or adequate for all installations ? and at 28mtrs volt drop may be significant.
You did right , carry out your own assessment.

Reply to changing over shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net