Discuss Changing single sockets to doubles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As already said, its fairly easy to do but obviously if you are unsure then get in a proper spark.

Your two options are:
  • Make the back box bigger to take a double. This is easy if it is plasterboard as you can pop out the plastic style, cut the hole bigger (carefully!) and pop in a replacement double back.
  • Fit a double style box on top (less elegant, easier if on stone wall, etc, where it is hard to physically change the back box size).
Electrically you have to make sure the wires are soundly attached to the correct terminals, which might not be in the same places as on the socket you remove! The sockets come with guidance, but after you think the wires are attacked and tightened (but not too tight) do a modest pull-test to check all wires are gripped OK.

NOTE: The UK has a "ring circuit" for most sockets, hence you have two sets of wires to each socket, looping round socket to socket, and eventually coming back to the fusebox from where it originated. Hence the importance of both wires being attached correctly.

As already said, its fairly easy to do but obviously if you are unsure then get in a proper spark.

Your two options are:
  • Make the back box bigger to take a double. This is easy if it is plasterboard as you can pop out the plastic style, cut the hole bigger (carefully!) and pop in a replacement double back.
  • Fit a double style box on top (less elegant, easier if on stone wall, etc, where it is hard to physically change the back box size).
Electrically you have to make sure the wires are soundly attached to the correct terminals, which might not be in the same places as on the socket you remove! The sockets come with guidance, but after you think the wires are attacked and tightened (but not too tight) do a modest pull-test to check all wires are gripped OK.

NOTE: The UK has a "ring circuit" for most sockets, hence you have two sets of wires to each socket, looping round socket to socket, and eventually coming back to the fusebox from where it originated. Hence the importance of both wires being attached correctly.
Thankyou for that? I'm competent enough to do it and got the correct tools. To clarify I can swap both the singles for doubles and aslong as all cables are securely fastened it shouldn't cause a problem? Thanks

Thankyou for that? I'm competent enough to do it and got the correct tools. To clarify I can swap both the singles for doubles and aslong as all cables are securely fastened it shouldn't cause a problem? Thanks

Basically yes.

One aspect of the UK system (individually fused plugs, bigger breaker/fuse for the supplying ring/spur) is there is no safety limit as such on the number of sockets. I don't think the Part-P regulations for England & Wales cover a change of socket so you are good to go.

Two things I would add are:
  • (a) get good quality sockets (MK, BG, Hager, etc) from reputable suppliers, and
  • (b) it is a good idea to get a socket checker to test your work (and all other sockets you have)
Now obviously the cheap £10 or so testers have a number of significant limitations when compared to a proper spark's £500-1000 multi-function tester, but it is better than nothing and will pick up on some of the more serious faults.

Basically yes.

One aspect of the UK system (individually fused plugs, bigger breaker/fuse for the supplying ring/spur) is there is no safety limit as such on the number of sockets. I don't think the Part-P regulations for England & Wales cover a change of socket so you are good to go.

Two things I would add are:
  • (a) get good quality sockets (MK, BG, Hager, etc) from reputable suppliers, and
  • (b) it is a good idea to get a socket checker to test your work (and all other sockets you have)
Now obviously the cheap £10 or so testers have a number of significant limitations when compared to a proper spark's £500-1000 multi-function tester, but it is better than nothing and will pick up on some of the more serious faults.
Thankyou for that?

Reply to Changing single sockets to doubles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net