Discuss Changing sockets from single to doubles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

s.banksplumheat

Hi there,
I have been asked to change out single socket outlets for doubles and add another few sockets.

What do i need to do in regards to paperwork for the customer.

I'm a bit rusty on this as not done any installations for over a year now and just getting back on the job.

Any information would be of value.

Many Thanks

Cheapest way is like-for-like replacement using the clipsal style double socket outlet that screws onto a single backbox. Takes about 2 minutes, so long as the customer is happy with the look of the switches. I wouldn't normally certify such a change but some would say you should... Adding sockets of course is a different matter, and will require all the necessary tests and MEIWC, plus BC notification if in a special location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Smugley,
Do i need to fill in any paperwork as not registered with anyone as yet?.

If he wants to go with a normal socket and i have to chase the wall out then will this change anything from the point of view of the installation in regards for like for like?.

Yep, anything other than like-for-like replacement of an accessory must be certified, so if extending an existing circuit then just a MEIWC. (Personally if I was just chopping out a larger backbox and not extending the wiring I wouldn't bother certifying that either..)

If the extension to the circuit is not in a special location then no BC notification is required. If it is - such as kitchens, outdoors etc then it will require notification. Bit expensive if you're not registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
got the part p reg infront of me and reading it says
work that is not notifiable:
-adding socket outlets and fused spurs to exsisting circuit
-replace any fixed electrical equippment (socket outlets) which does not include the provision of any new fixed cabling.

got the part p reg infront of me and reading it says
work that is not notifiable:
-adding socket outlets and fused spurs to exsisting circuit
-replace any fixed electrical equippment (socket outlets) which does not include the provision of any new fixed cabling.

If you add sockets to an existing circuit in a kitchen or special location then it is notifiable.

Also remember that any certification that you issue, be it MEIWC or EIC will also document your limited involvment in the installation.

Hi Guy's,
The extra sockets will mot be in special locations, just living room and bedroom, which i will do as a spur.

Hi Simpson, so does this mean that it can be done without documentation?.

Any other ideas on a different way of doing the installation.

To comply with Bs 7671 you should issue a cert for the work you are proposing.....however Bs 7671 is not statutory so you are not breaking the law if you dont.

But any certs you issue are your proof of your competence in court if (hope not) anything should go wrong after you have left the installation.

I issue MWC for changing/adding sockets and the like & notify where required.

yep sorry for not mentioning special locations could have been missleading.
like wirepull has said not actualy needed but is your proof of compitance in court.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing sockets from single to doubles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net