Discuss Changing to a 3 Gang. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JoshD1029

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.

In our outdoor cabin we currently have a 1 gang switch controlling two ceiling lights and an outdoor motion sensor light that is permanently on.

I want to change them to a 3 Gang, 1 way switch.

I have attached a couple of photos of the current setup.

The 3 Gang I have has three blocks of 'Com' 'L1' 'L2'. From looking online and my novice experience, would I keep the earth's in the block and connect the blues to individual L1s and the browns to individual Coms? Any advice would be great...

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_115222994.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220424_115229615.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220424_115233924.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220424-144551.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
you do not have the correct cables available at the switch to control the 3 lights separately.
what you are trying to do can't be done without running extra cables from the lights to the switch.

depending on what exactly is going on with the wiring, it may well be possible to switch the outside light separately to the inside lights but would definitely require extra cables to switch the 2 indoor ones separately.

Just to expand a little on your last paragraph "would I keep the earth's in the block and connect the blues to individual L1s and the browns to individual Coms? "
coupled with @littlespark comment above.

If you did this, there would be a BIG BANG when you turned the switch on, the switch's next destination would be your bin (possibly in a bag containing a pair of soiled underpants) .

Reply to Changing to a 3 Gang. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Is the following set up possible with a 3 Gang 2 Way Smart Wifi Switch set up (the black glass type touch ones) One of the 3 switches, switches...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views
Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
I threw away an old knackered light switch and now need to replace it. It had 4 terminals (L1, L2, L3, L4) and is fed by two blue and two red...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock