Discuss Charging a 12V battery under load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Antony Gilbert

I have a 40W solar panel charging a 12V leisure battery (using a charge controller) and I need to know if it is harmful to the battery if at the same time as charging I use the battery to power an appliance such as a laptop (using a power converter)?

won't do any harm, but it will not charge up as fast as you are drawing current from it at the same timwe as the charger is putting it in.

I have a 40W solar panel charging a 12V leisure battery (using a charge controller) and I need to know if it is harmful to the battery if at the same time as charging I use the battery to power an appliance such as a laptop (using a power converter)?
The Solar panel needs to be putting more into the battery than you're drawing off it otherwise it'll just go flat

I believe I heard that you should not allow a battery to lose all of it's charge before recharging because you can damage the battery. If this is true, how low can the battery voltage drop before it should be recharged?

I believe I heard that you should not allow a battery to lose all of it's charge before recharging because you can damage the battery. If this is true, how low can the battery voltage drop before it should be recharged?
Leisure batterys are designed for that sort of thing i.e charging up then running flat then charging up again

- - - Updated - - -

What solar panel would I need to charge 12volt 110 amp leisure battery
What will you be pulling off it load wise?

Running all sort of things elec outboard motor for when I'm fishing at the moment I charged the of a small Honda generator I've got

if your using a 40w panel and a 12v 110a/h battery its going to take 33.3 hours to charge....As there is only 12 hours of daylight....... This is basic Ohms law...!!!

Running all sort of things elec outboard motor for when I'm fishing at the moment I charged the of a small Honda generator I've got
Well if you pull say 100w from it, you'll need a panel of higher rating than that otherwise the battery will keep going flat and the same for whatever the size load you want to pull.The battery is 110Ah which means it can sustain a load of 110 Amps or 1320 Watts for an hour and then its flat, depending of course on age and condition of the battery

Reply to Charging a 12V battery under load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock