Discuss Charging problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zapsok

DIY
Reaction score
2012 Volvo S60 D3 150 000 km
  • Battery voltage normal 12,6V over battery with motor stopped.
  • Good motor start always.
  • At idle, no charging voltage (12,1V) over battery.
  • Charging failure light comes on.
  • Rev up to 1500 rpm gives 13,4V over battery.
  • Return to idle speed again maintains 13,4V.
  • Charging failure light stays on though.
  • During driving, the charging failure light goes on and off intermittently every few minutes.

- Why do I need to rev to 1500 rpm to start charging?

- Why doesn’t the charging failure light turn off at 13,4V?

- Is it definitely a case of replacing the alternator? They should last longer than 9 years / 150 000 km.

- Other comments on these events?

looks like alternator, but get it tested before payting out for new. might just need a service/repair.

- Is it definitely a case of replacing the alternator? They should last longer than 9 years / 150 000 km.
If your unlucky an alternator may only last as long as the battery
So how long do you expect a battery to last, a failed or failing battery can very quickly kill an alternator because of the higher charging currents needed towards the end of the battery's life
It is quite normal after 4 - 5 years for a battery to not hold a full charge and put more load on the alternator. with some vehicles it is recommended that if the alternator fails that the battery is also replaced

Update about the problem:
  • Studied voltage across the battery during a 6 hour long journey and noted the following:
  • Voltage has 3 levels: 12.1V only immediately after start, at idle; 13.60-13.68V after the first time engine speed exceeds 1500 rpm regardless of the speed thereafter; 14.24-14.86V sometimes while driving.
  • Only at 14.xx V is the charging error lamp turned off. The lamp is always switched on / off 7 seconds after the transition from 14.xx to 13.6xV.
  • The voltage jumps between 13.6x and 14.xxV completely independent of engine speed, electrical load or anything else I can change. Even when seat heating and window heating are switched on or off, the voltage does not change notably. Note that there is never a voltage value in the range 13.69-14.23V. The jump up to 14.xxV often lasts for a few seconds before the voltage drops back to 13.6xV again. Sometimes (though rarely) the voltage stays in the 14.xxV range for several minutes.
  • The voltage never goes below 13.60V after exceeding 1500rpm for the first time. Not even for a second even on a several hour journey.

At idle I have checked that at 12.1V I get <1A battery current (basically zero). At 13.6xV I get 7A battery current. I have not measured the current at 14.xxV.

Note that the battery seems to work excellently and gives a perfect engine start. After the first 1500rpm, battery voltage is never below 13.60V so is this not enough to be a good charging voltage? If the alternator carbon brushes were bad, would I not see intermittent loss of charging voltage, like 12.1V sometimes? Why does the charge error light go out only when I get up to 14.xxV?

I have same on a transit van. In short the alternator isn’t doing anything of use until the engine is revved once.
I haven’t had time to look yet but I suspect brushes are very worn and the first high rev nudges them into a better position.

You can also get weird effects if a diode in the alternator rectifier pack goes leaky or short circuit. A ripple voltage sits on top of the DC, and fools the regulator into thinking the output voltage is higher than it really is.

Reply to Charging problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net