Discuss Chasing Cables for Shower Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, we are having a shower fitted - the electrician has run the cable vertically over the top of the noggins, meaning when we make the wall good the filler will encompass the 10mm cable he has pinned to them. I'm certain this is not correct, so I'm tempted to retrospectively cut the cabling into the noggins - approximately 6 of them, protect them and then plasterboard and skim over the top. Any advice? Obviously the cable is not yet connected to either the shower or the consumer unit. He's also used plastic clips and I don't think these are allowable now. Thanks Sarah (18th Edition Domestic Installer)

Attachments

• 4bTBore5SCy3LHmqHmugNg.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 79
Difficult to tell from the picture but ideally a cable route through a stud wall, should have been drilled through the noggins and joists and the cable run through the holes. Easy for me to sit here and say that as I haven't see it, but does look rough though.

Maybe ask the sparks how difficult it'd be to re run it through the noggins / studs.
1. That cable is super vulnerable to damage
2. Making that good will be a nightmare.

Reg 521.10.202 support of wiring systems - in the event of a fire making the old plastic ones inadequate
[automerge]1576539903[/automerge]
Difficult to tell from the picture but ideally a cable route through a stud wall, should have been drilled through the noggins and joists and the cable run through the holes. Easy for me to sit here and say that as I haven't see it, but does look rough though.

Maybe ask the sparks how difficult it'd be to re run it through the noggins / studs.
1. That cable is super vulnerable to damage
2. Making that good will be a nightmare.

Attachments

• Kgh2Tg8gSHKZZoPeH5hEGA.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 73
Need more pictures, looks like a DIY install to me. Has that cable been ran in a prescribed zone? Or just up a random bit of wall?

looking at that second picture that's pretty rough, it looks fairly simple to open up the wall a bit more above / below each noggin and drill a 20mm hole and feed the cable through each noggin properly. Thats personally what I would have done.

Need more pictures, looks like a DIY install to me. Has that cable been ran in a prescribed zone? Or just up a random bit of wall?
A random bit of wall, directly above the consumer unit on the floor below, not to mention the diagonal route across the ceiling from the shower itself.
[automerge]1576540556[/automerge]
looking at that second picture that's pretty rough, it looks fairly simple to open up the wall a bit more above / below each noggin and drill a 20mm hole and feed the cable through each noggin properly. Thats personally what I would have done.
I think I'll remove the plasterboard from floor to ceiling and get him to do that, it's going to make my life a lot easier to repair the wall in the long run

Hi Sarah,not quite sure what an 18th edition domestic installer means , but first question is why you have not done the job yourself ?,the install looks (and difficult to tell from piccys) that it has been done with minimal disruption, lets say the noggins were 50 mm deep then it makes no difference if the nogs were drilled in centre or on surface ,the cable would still be less than 50 mm deep, as for plastic clips well it doesn't look like it would trap firefighters round there necks ,but cant be sure, not sure where this is going to be honest ?

Just asking....have you seen his details and checked him out?
It's my partner who has employed him, based on a recommendation from a friend, I would have attempted it myself but Domestic Installer doesn't cover me for bathrooms. I'm pretty sure I'd have done a better job though. Once I've installed the shower, he's coming back to connect it all, I'll be there so I'm going to ask for his details. (I'm NVQ 2, City and Guilds qualified too)
[automerge]1576542308[/automerge]
Hi Sarah,not quite sure what an 18th edition domestic installer means , but first question is why you have not done the job yourself ?,the install looks (and difficult to tell from piccys) that it has been done with minimal disruption, lets say the noggins were 50 mm deep then it makes no difference if the nogs were drilled in centre or on surface ,the cable would still be less than 50 mm deep, as for plastic clips well it doesn't look like it would trap firefighters round there necks ,but cant be sure, not sure where this is going to be honest ?
It's in a bathroom and a new install, neither of which I am qualified to do as a Domestic Installer. The noggins are neither drilled on the surface or the centre and once filled some of them will protrude through the plaster. I understand the plastic clips bit now, I mis read the regulation but thanks for re in-forcing my knowledge on this. I was just trying to find out if what he had done was legitimate as per the regs as personally I think its a rubbish job by an amateur and I want it to be correct.

Last edited:

Reply to Chasing Cables for Shower Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net