Discuss Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MTBOO

-
Reaction score
Hi

We haves moved and new place has a bedroom with double plug socket in internal stud wall. There is a spur off this to another double socket which is mounted on (not in) adjoining wall but around a corner and about 3 metres away. However cable is protruding outside of side of first socket and tacked along skirting and then round corner to other wall mounted socket sitting just above skirting but housing is loose.

I want to chase along walls and bury existing cable and put the other socket into wall with double patress and wire it up.

Basically hide cable which will run about 5 to 10 cm above skirting along first wall, round corner then along to second socket.

Floor is not an option as horrible tongue and groove type board.

Is this allowed full stop and can I do this as a DIYer. Technically just rewrite of existing cable into new socket in wall?

as long as you keep the cable horizontally, level with the 2 sockets ( no up and down parts of the run ) it will comply. 4 other considerations:
1. are you competent to isolate and make safe before starting
2. is the circuit RCD protected.
3. you need to know if the original socket is part of a ring final circuit, and if so, you can only have 1 outlet spurred off.
4. might be better to call in a local electrician. the circuit would then be tested to ensure your continuing safety.

One thing to bear in mind is whether the circuit has RCD protection - this may be the reason that the socket was added with surface-mounted wiring.

Tel bet me to it (and wrote a better reply). Doh.

How about the ‘going around the corner’ bit as it won’t be horizontal between accessories making it thus a safe zone-age! I can’t think of a better way and if it’s an owned house then they only need to know.

How about the ‘going around the corner’ bit as it won’t be horizontal between accessories making it thus a safe zone-age! I can’t think of a better way and if it’s an owned house then they only need to know.
will be safe zones. each socket gives the zone on each wall. if necessary could go up or down within 6" of the corner.
Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer upload_2018-4-6_14-54-45 - EletriciansForums.net

See without those big blue lines painted on your wall Tel, I wouldn’t look at that and see a horizontally chased cable. I would see two sockets vertical from above or below but then I would check with my checker thingy where most would not.
Can’t see many people hanging pictures that low.
How do you know it’s an internal angle, it may be external.

See without those big blue lines painted on your wall Tel, I wouldn’t look at that and see a horizontally chased cable. I would see two sockets vertical from above or below but then I would check with my checker thingy where most would not.
Can’t see many people hanging pictures that low.
How do you know it’s an internal angle, it may be external.
in that case he could fit a wi-fi socket. :D:D:D

It would still be in zone for an external corner. The zone extends out in all 4 directions from any socket.

I guess zones are for electricians and no one else!
It would still be in zone for an external corner. The zone extends out in all 4 directions from any socket.
We’re the only ones that pay attention to it.

Not sure about being part of a ring final circuit...assume it’s ok as it was already there.

Original socket is just above skirting. Spur will be slightly higher around 20 cm on other wall (to line up with others in room ) so chasing on first wall will slope up slightly say 20cm up over 2 metres .

Not RCD protected as CU is old wired fuse style but is being replaced soon

Without completing the necessary tests you have no way of knowing if the work you complete is safe.
In fact you have no idea if the system your fitting it too is safe to start with.
So it’s a no I’m afraid.
Electricity kills
Get an electrician

so chasing on first wall will slope up slightly say 20cm up over 2 metres .

that's a big fat NO. cable run must NOT "slope". if you need to step up the level you must do it as a step in the corner within 150mm.

Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer upload_2018-4-6_15-56-23 - EletriciansForums.net

and as said by westie and others, you need to leave this job till your electrician replaces the CU (fuse board) with on the provides RCD protection, generally to ALL circuits.

Are they both stud walls? Why all this talk of 'chasing'?

Is there a loft above?

Not sure the RCD is a problem they could always put a rcd socket on.
Agreed they look ugly but no more than repairing the wall will look, stud wall or not.

I’m more interested if we can satisfy A.D.S first.

Reply to Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock