Discuss Chasing tool(s) reccomdations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jamie'

-
Reaction score
Hi all looking at buying some new chasing gear. Wondering what you guys would recommend?

I've been looking at the titan wall chaser with the hoover and the titan 5.9kg sds, anyone had any good/bad experiences with it?

Cheers!

Got a lot of titan stuff. Very happy with it. Seems to last and do a decent job. I dont bother with brand names now as you pay for the body. Especially on mains voltage tools. Underneath there is little difference. The wall chaser is good. Depends on the blades you put in tbh...
Also if it goes wrong you got a 2 year warranty from screwfix. Even buying another will likely be cheaper than 1 high end model

Titan stuff is ok for the price, but it’s like chalk and cheese. IMO it doesn’t compare with the likes of Hilti, Milwaukee etc. If you’ve only had the cheaper Titan tools you won’t know what your missing and will probably be quite happy with what you have.
Having tried most there is a reason I pay +£400 for a Hilti chaser over a £40 Titan.
Like @Gavin John Hyde said, make sure you get decent blades as that can make a cheap tool work well.

Wall chasing companies I use are all Hilti. They can kill that kit as well though.

I use Erbaurer Wall Chaser, Nilfisk Vac and Makita to chip out the wall. If a new build or the likes I bring in wall chasing companies who have their own kit.

Got a lot of titan stuff. Very happy with it. Seems to last and do a decent job. I dont bother with brand names now as you pay for the body. Especially on mains voltage tools. Underneath there is little difference. The wall chaser is good. Depends on the blades you put in tbh...
Also if it goes wrong you got a 2 year warranty from screwfix. Even buying another will likely be cheaper than 1 high end model
lower priced power tools have weaker motors, check the newtons on B&Q own brand vs any "named" brand

i like it when my drill is able to drill

I have tried several hired chasing machines (one was paired up with a Henry hoover!), they were all pants.

The main problem being, after about 30secs you can't see what your trying to chase because the 'dust extraction unit' is useless.

I did use somebodies Metabo chaser with a its dust extraction system, a few times. Pretty damn good. If I had lots of chasing to do, I would invest in one of these bespoke units, might cost quite a few pounds, but worth if you have lots to do.

Otherwise, its an angle grinder, and wait for the dust to settle.

I have tried several hired chasing machines (one was paired up with a Henry hoover!), they were all pants.
I put my first chaser on a Henry and it lasted about 3 hours and blew up!
Like u say. You need to have a dedicated dust extractor designed for the job.

The company I used to work for had a old Hilti (probably about 15 years old) with the dust extractor.
For the time being I have a Erbauer and a Henry Hoover.. :)

The Erbauer does the job as a temporary fix, but its best if you start at the top and work down as the blades spin in that direction so it aids dust extraction, it makes it a little more akward to use but with this combination with the Henry extraction works as well as the old Hilti setup I used... However...
After every couple of floor to ceiling chases (or should i say ceiling to floor chases) I have to take Henry outside and bang out the filter, the dust is so fine so if you don't do this Henry filter clogs up the motor starts howling and your blow him up. You can forget using a bag either, your just keep filling it up. I might try it with a Titan Extractor, they do a model that can auto power up when your chaser runs, but to be honest I don't expect too much, the hoses on these extractors are usually so thin and flimsy.

If you have a lot of chasing to do then probably worth spending out the cash.
My setup gets me through the odd kitchen but I'd get fed up with it if doing a full chase rewire, I think I'd just add it to the cost of the job in this situation.

I also used someone Makita setup once, again it's comparable to the Hilti, so i domt think you need to pay £1000s the Titan Chaser looks the same as the Erbauer ( A twin blade angle grinder with static guard) so your probably find the same e.g.. starting at the top and working down.

I think the Extractor is more important than the Chaser

Last edited:
I have the metano chaser and a DeWalt M Class vacuum.

Virtually zero dust escapes, unless the skim coat breaks off the render and blocks the hole lol

But you notice it in seconds.

And just to add, this side of the pond we sink 20mm conduits into the wall. If you used capping or the likes you'd be kicked off the job

22mm oval is hard to beat instead of 20mm round lol

the best thing to do cost wise would be , mark up where you need the walls chased, hire a labourer, hand him a grinder and 50 stone cutting discs , give him a decent set of spectacles, a dust mask and overalls and leave them to it, inspect at night when dust has settled

the best thing to do cost wise would be , mark up where you need the walls chased, hire a labourer, hand him a grinder and 50 stone cutting discs , give him a decent set of spectacles, a dust mask and overalls and leave them to it, inspect at night when dust has settled
Haha...
Don't know what the Labourers up your way but you would trust the labourers down my way to do it..
You would just know that they would either knock a brick through, or you would be sticking your boxes in with expanding foam :)

I expect the outfits that do chasing all the time are pretty good, but chasing is an art form it requires a bit of skill and finesse.
If you want a wall knocking down, then its another story LOL.

Reply to Chasing tool(s) reccomdations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock