Discuss Cheap off peak electric in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am currently on the Octopus Go tariff with 7.5p kwh 12.30am to 4.30am and then 30p kwh during the day.I use this tariff to charge my plugin hybrid very cheaply.
I have an old but usable 80ah car battery,a 150 watt dc to ac inverter and a 10 watt LED lamp.
I have it set up to charge the battery on the cheap rate electric and then use the lamp during the peak rate electric.Am I right in thinking this will save some money?

If this works ok and I can power the lamp for many hours then I might upscale the inverter to a higher output,say 700 watts. I would be able to power most of my office supplies during the evening. Obviously the latter setup wouldn't last as long on the battery but was wondering if it's possible.
I will give this a go and report back in a few days of experiments. I know this is already being done with power walls but they cost thousands and this method costs very little.
What are your thoughts on this with advantages and disadvantages?

You have a much more suitable battery sitting, unused, in your car for most of the time. Even more so for a full EV.
I've no idea of the current 'state of the art' of this, but if it can easily be done, it would go a long way towards promoting the financial viability of EVs.

Reply to Cheap off peak electric in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an outbuilding that he uses as an art studio, the building is fully insulated and is currently heated by...
Replies
Views
Hi Absolutely 0 knowledge of this so excuse language / terms / explanation. Electric only ground floor 2 bed flat ( 3 external walls) On peak...
Replies
Views
Hi, So I'm trying to understand what's going on with my off-peak electricity supply, as something's wrong with it and I'm trying to determine if...
Replies
Views
I have a client on a Superdeal tariff from SSE, the Superdeal Meter has 3 sets of tails coming out of it feeding 3 DBs: (i) DB1 - the main board...
Replies
Views
I'm considering buying a home battery storage solution and read that with 3kWh feed you can only charge 12kW during the 4 hour Octopus Go off-peak...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock