Discuss Check a Trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SYKRAPS

Hi Guys and Gals,

Do any of you lot use "Check a Trade" as a business tool.

They have approached me to schedule a meeting and I was wondering if they are any good.

From what they say they only advertise Accredited Tradespeople and they vet the companies they list.

If they are any good is it possible to barter their costs, which seem a little high to me to be honest.

All responses welcome thanks.

what exactly do I need to start up on my own

Hi guys, I have done my electrical qualifications c&g up to level 3 and my 17th regs,2392,and I'm currently doing my 2391,failed the written exam first time so I am in the books again but hopefully I will pass this time. Up to now it's took me 4 years to get here but Hopefully it's worth it. Can anyone tell me what I need to start up on my own,it will be part time for a bit because I am still in full time employment. I know I need liability insurance and tools and a van etc,but just to establish my self do I need to be niceic,nappit ,elecsa or any other to start installing and inspection and testing my work.

I guess that these guys are either no good or none of you use them then from th lack of comments............but thanks anyway

I've been with Checkatrade for about six months now. It's paid for itself a couple of times over in work, and the people who contact you wanting work are very good. They are interested in quality, reputable tradesmen rather than getting a CU changed for £50:00. I think in part it's worked so well because there aren't that many on there for the Midlands. I guess that will change in time, but by then I'll be ahead in the feedback stakes anyway.

The acid test is, will I renew my membership next year? Yes, without hesitation.

Re: what exactly do I need to start up on my own

Hi guys, I have done my electrical qualifications c&g up to level 3 and my 17th regs,2392,and I'm currently doing my 2391,failed the written exam first time so I am in the books again but hopefully I will pass this time. Up to now it's took me 4 years to get here but Hopefully it's worth it. Can anyone tell me what I need to start up on my own,it will be part time for a bit because I am still in full time employment. I know I need liability insurance and tools and a van etc,but just to establish my self do I need to be niceic,nappit ,elecsa or any other to start installing and inspection and testing my work.

English as your first language is a good start on this one

I've been with Checkatrade for about six months now. It's paid for itself a couple of times over in work, and the people who contact you wanting work are very good. They are interested in quality, reputable tradesmen rather than getting a CU changed for £50:00. I think in part it's worked so well because there aren't that many on there for the Midlands. I guess that will change in time, but by then I'll be ahead in the feedback stakes anyway.

The acid test is, will I renew my membership next year? Yes, without hesitation.

Thank you very much imago for your feedback, we are the same up here in Yorkshire there does not seem to be hardly any sparks listed.

How many enquirys do you tend to get a month?

Did you try and barter with them i.e. will they entertain a months free trial to see as it goes? I think they might go for it because they seem to be soooo convinced with their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't try to knock them down as I approached them when someone mentioned that they were doing the sponsorship for 'Cowboy Builders'. I saw it as part of the advertising budget.

It varies quite a bit from month to month. I allways get one, I think the most was five. They've all been quality jobs the minimum value being three or four hundred quid. They are very honest in that they promise you nothing, they don't sell leads or add-ons.

From what I was told I would be able to submit them with testemonials form previous customers to enhance my presence with them, like you said above customer feedback is very important.

they told me some very interesting facts regarding search hits and that they are going to have a massive advertising campaign from the midlands up.

Yeah, that was part of what sold it to me, there's no way I could afford the advertising coverage they have planned. So basically although the yearly membership fee is high, it's still only a small percentage of the cost for that level of advertising.

In the long run word of mouth and repeats from past quality work is the best outcome and mixing the balance of work across domestic direct to customer , commercial and builders will give financial stability .the more skill areas and different sectors you work in the better .good basic commonsence business understanding is so important to prevent failure .basically dont overexpose yourself financially to small builders who promise great amounts of work , ask first what happened to your last electrician .industrial work is more secure as you will definately get paid but quality and experience has to be there.over the years ive been shafted a few times and organisations offering advertising and work for a fee have rarely come up to their promises and most are basically parasites. I would always ask myself how many of my customers have heard of this company and would know how to contact them .we are currently mowed out with brands ,logos governing bodies , safety databases and the like and it all has the effect of confusing potential customers niceic eca ecs esc safe trader elecsa napit bs en .......et al

Reply to Check a Trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock