Discuss check it when you by something in screwfix in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
went to screwfix to buy a extractor fan yesterday, the fan was in a box and i did not open the box to check. but when i got to site and openned it found it has been used before, some pink painting clearly inside the fan, so i realised that it could be faulty, but still tried to install it because the shop is about 10 miles away, however the installation took much longer than i thought, when i finished the installation and then found it did not work, then uninstalled it and drove 10 miles back to the shop to get refund.

felt upset, if the fan was original and faulty i probably feel better, but the screwfix knew it could be faulty and still sold it to me, wasted me 5 hours for this, why did not they check the refunded products before they resoldl it?

Seems like you wasted more time trying to fit the thing, might of well just drove back!

actually i blamed myself: i really should have gone back straight way....the guy in screwfix was not happy either when i told him what happened, he said the fan was the only one when i asked to get a replacement...drove to b&q then, not a lucky day yesterday

Last edited:
Hate things like this, especially stupid mistakes I.e when your installing external wall lights, then you discover the wholesalers have given you a different colour fitting to all the others you have brought!

Trouble is you take 'em back in the original packaging,it gets put to one side and then when someone is clearing up they bung it back on the shelf!!!!.....happens in our CEF all the time,once I was given a PIR which I recognised as one I had taken back faulty weeks ago!!

taken more stuff back to city than any other fused spurs exploding light fitting dropping off ceilings when the plastic gives way neons not working 20 mm masonary drill bits melting after 12" through concrete brick .M2 range is the worst ive used never again ,bought some new leads for my fluke tester one part of the prod missing drive me mad ,ill be charging them soon

Trouble is you take 'em back in the original packaging,it gets put to one side and then when someone is clearing up they bung it back on the shelf!!!!.....happens in our CEF all the time,once I was given a PIR which I recognised as one I had taken back faulty weeks ago!!

Always write faulty on the box when I return stuff.

seem to get many things from screwfix which are broken.had a delivery last week and inside they'd smashed a 5 litre pot of tile adhesive over all the electrics, so having spent the whole morning waiting in, had to take all the stuff back-on my motorbike! had a fan last month too which was missing a part which i only discovered after fitting it.the customer was not happy.neither was i.from now on i'll pick up only and inspect everything before driving off

The thing is n all lads is how unprofessional it all looks to a client when you have faulty points/fittings. I mean they dont understand/care about the sagas that can occur at the wholesalers: all they want is for the job to work and be finished in reasonable time. Most wholesalers only sell good standards of stuff unlike orange shed etc which package crap in the nicest way possible to sell on.....still crap though innit...........

It's not just Screwfix - it is everybody and everything, everywhere, all of the time.

I have a policy of never, ever, assuming that anything I have bought, no matter who the seller is, is going to be OK.

If I'm in a shop looking at something I will, without a qualm, ignore any signs asking me not to open the packaging, and I'll open it, check the contents, count the fixings etc etc.

I'll open sealed punnets of fruit in supermarkets to taste before I buy.

If I'm buying something which I'll be holding in my hand, I'll take it out and hold it first, even if that means destroying bubble packaging.

It's not just Screwfix - it is everybody and everything, everywhere, all of the time.

I have a policy of never, ever, assuming that anything I have bought, no matter who the seller is, is going to be OK.

If I'm in a shop looking at something I will, without a qualm, ignore any signs asking me not to open the packaging, and I'll open it, check the contents, count the fixings etc etc.

If I'm buying something which I'll be holding in my hand, I'll take it out and hold it first, even if that means destroying bubble packaging.
Dont you ever get em saying..ERR well yuv got to buy it now ant yer.....even if you dont want/like it after looking?

Last edited:

How far do you have to drive to get to the nearest supermarket which you're not banned from?

Bought a 2d fitting from Edmundsons the other day on 50 mile round trip. I'm very rural. Put fitting up in customers house and it didn't work. Had to take it all the way back to pick up replacement. Customer was not pleased so she phoned manufacturer and played hell. She ended up speaking to an engineer which she passed on to me. I'm now waiting to hear from the regional sales rep of the manufacturer to see what he has to say for himself. Next in the firing line will be a manufacturer of 2 pull cords both of which were missing a terminal and on the same job.

I did very little domestic work, but I learnt one thing. Leave the wife to get on to manufacturers, it was like watching an Exocet being fired down the phone! She was evil with them and totally un-relentless. Worked every time!
One notable one was listening to her she’d done several “your no good, I want to speak to your boss” routines, eventually she said “you’ll do”. Passed the phone to me it was the MD of the company!
Apparently the conversation had gone along the usual line of “I want to talk to your boss”, to be told “I don’t have one!”

Dont you ever get em saying..ERR well yuv got to buy it now ant yer.....even if you dont want/like it after looking?
Nope.

As far as checking something to see if it's OK, I wouldn't need to do that unless I'd decided to buy - the only reason I would have for not buying it would be if it wasn't OK (i.e. damaged/faulty/bits missing), so they couldn't expect me to do that.

Checking to see if I like something - that really only applies if I need to feel/hold it, not just look at it, e.g. a tool of some sort. And they shouldn't be selling things to be held if people can't hold them to feel what they are like.

Reply to check it when you by something in screwfix in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock