Discuss Checking other circuits after fitting outdoor socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly, I am not an electrician but, two of us are starting a electrical contracting business in a niche product area. Our newly qualified electrician is saying that if he fits, for example, outdoor sockets, that he has to do a ton of testing of other circuits in the house to verify they are ok too. This could make a one hour job a long as three hours.

As much as we trust him we are concerned that he may be being a little over cautious. Can anyone provide me/us with a little advice regarding this please?

Thanks

if a socket is fitted to an existing circuit, that circuit must be tested to ensure it's safe to add to. also earthing and bonding need to be checked and rectified if needed. other circuits don't need testing, but if there are any obvious signs of danger, this needs to be entered on whatever certificate is prepared.

If "your newly qualified Electrician" installs a new circuit to an existing installation, he will need to ensure the following?
RCD protection
Main bonding is in place
And he will need to provide a Electrical installation certificate for the new circuit.
Being "newly qualified" he should already know this

Main bonding and additional protection are likely to be your main worries. These must be verified and if necessary rectified before even minor works are undertaken. Both can add considerable cost and time to a small installation. Whatever your 'niche product area' involves you will need to put a system in place to verify the above before work commences or you will come a cropper.

Hi All,

Firstly, I am not an electrician but, two of us are starting a electrical contracting business in a niche product area. Our newly qualified electrician is saying that if he fits, for example, outdoor sockets, that he has to do a ton of testing of other circuits in the house to verify they are ok too. This could make a one hour job a long as three hours.

As much as we trust him we are concerned that he may be being a little over cautious. Can anyone provide me/us with a little advice regarding this please?

Thanks

Hum... sounds an unlikely path to success and glory............ but there are times when what appears to Joe Public to be a simple job, is "complicated" by the regs and we are obliged to follow.............. which Bob the Builder won't bother with.

Whats your niche market?

If "your newly qualified Electrician" installs a new circuit to an existing installation, he will need to ensure the following?
RCD protection
Main bonding is in place
And he will need to provide a Electrical installation certificate for the new circuit.
Being "newly qualified" he should already know this

Yes, I am sure he does but he talked about, seemingly, testing a whole range of circuits etc for every installation and we just weren't sure if this was just him being a little overly cautious (not that any corners etc should be cut with electrics of course)

Yes, I am sure he does but he talked about, seemingly, testing a whole range of circuits etc for every installation and we just weren't sure if this was just him being a little overly cautious (not that any corners etc should be cut with electrics of course)
Not being overly cautious Frimley111R, more likely unsure of what he is doing, being"newly qualified".
He would need to ensure what he is connecting to is correct and providing he is running a new circuit there would be no need to test anything else, if on the other hand he is going to add this socket to an existing circuit he will need to ensure the the circuit he is extending meets the requirements of BS7671.
If he notices any glaring departures from BS7671 he should note these departures on the EIC or MNWC he issues, depending on whether it's an addition or a new circuit.

Home EV Car Charging Points
That will be a dedicated circuit then,and some more rules to adhere to, a different ball game than jus
Home EV Car Charging Points
The "Newly Qualified Electrician" would need to comply with this code of practice

Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation - The IET - http://www.------.org/resources/standards/ev-charging-cop.cfm

Or alternatively, the electrician could comply with Section 722 BS7671, which last time I read and tried to understand, I was left with a minor migraine.

I expect the IET's code of practise, has lots of pretty pictures, for us lessor mortals. They are on the second edition now (2015), mind :)

When I was working at the Council there were proposals to install EV chargers at various public buildings such as Colleges and Leisure Centres, I was tasked with surveying said buildings with an SSE contracting engineer to look at designing the required circuits etc. At the time they were talking about either 'fast' or 'rapid' chargers, I believe the latter required a 100amp three phase supply ! :eek: I escaped from the Council shortly after that to start up on my own so had no further involvement thankfully ! :)

Reply to Checking other circuits after fitting outdoor socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock