Discuss Cheeky builder tapping up my staff in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welchyboy1

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
one of the building companies i work with reasonably regularly has just been taken over by the son, i got on with the dad like clockwork and was a pleasure working for him, but his son is now trying to screw me down on prices for the big jobs hes pricing and on smaller jobs he has been calling an electrician who works for me to do these jobs direct, obviously cutting me out to get a cheap job

the sparky who works for me is very loyal and has told me everytime, i really want to front this **** and bend his ear about ethical working practices, but i dont want to fall out with his dad who has been good to me

the electrician is a subby but pretty much full time, hes not registered with a scheme

i know i dont have any legal rights but i bend over backwards to get his jobs done and it has really put my nose out of joint!

what say yous!

exactly what andy said ^^^^. his old man will probably give him a right mouthful.

Even if the son now owns it - still post 2

I should have said in my above post "either way, post 2 will resolve this". His dad will not want to see the company that he has worked his fingers to the bone to build up, just to see it go down the pan by a few bad decisions from his son.

Time for a pint or three. Good luck with it.

one of the building companies i work with reasonably regularly has just been taken over by the son, i got on with the dad like clockwork and was a pleasure working for him, but his son is now trying to screw me down on prices for the big jobs hes pricing and on smaller jobs he has been calling an electrician who works for me to do these jobs direct, obviously cutting me out to get a cheap job

the sparky who works for me is very loyal and has told me everytime, i really want to front this **** and bend his ear about ethical working practices, but i dont want to fall out with his dad who has been good to me

the electrician is a subby but pretty much full time, hes not registered with a scheme

i know i dont have any legal rights but i bend over backwards to get his jobs done and it has really put my nose out of joint!

what say yous!
look..
i`v had it before...where the guy i do some work for has had his customers pulling me aside when they think the coast`s clear....offering the rest of the work to me...or saying they will ring me to come do other elements of the work etc..

i tell them straight that on the jobs i am working for Delroy on...I AM WORKING FOR DELROY ON....FULL STOP!!

its really that easy....

The dad still finances the jobs i think but he wants to wind down and stay at home, he put his 25 year old son in the driving seat

To be honest since the old man has taken a back seat the firms turned into a bit of a cowboy out fit, I may suddenly stop being so reliable all of a sudden

The dad still finances the jobs i think but he wants to wind down and stay at home, he put his 25 year old son in the driving seat

To be honest since the old man has taken a back seat the firms turned into a bit of a cowboy out fit, I may suddenly stop being so reliable all of a sudden
I have experienced the exact thing myself over the last 2 years, I have stopped working for them now and did vertually all their work the previous 11 years I have been in business, the son is a total **** and he started trying to get me to give him money for the pleasure of working for him as his dad retired. He also started paying 4 weeks late and I just decided to move on elsewhere, tough at first but It was worth it.

dont drop your own standards to suit them.....

It's all about loyalty and knowing which side your bread's buttered! It could also be seen as stealing from your employer if the subby was to accept.

This is considered gross misconduct in many directly employed contracts - disloyalty is disrespect, if a subby did this to me he wouldn't work for me again.

I have experienced the exact thing myself over the last 2 years, I have stopped working for them now and did vertually all their work the previous 11 years I have been in business, the son is a total **** and he started trying to get me to give him money for the pleasure of working for him as his dad retired. He also started paying 4 weeks late and I just decided to move on elsewhere, tough at first but It was worth it.

Thing is MDJ i really dont need their work, its stressful they give you no notice but always paid on time, no quibbles which was the only thing i kept coming back for but now i might just tell him to poke it!

Thing is MDJ i really dont need their work, its stressful they give you no notice but always paid on time, no quibbles which was the only thing i kept coming back for but now i might just tell him to poke it!
no.

Dont burn bridges....

and you dont turn down work either...especially if they have been good payers.

It seems the Dad is still holding the cash strings behind the scenes....
dont forget the chancellor has the power

as has been suggested here already...go see his Dad...and i`m sure he`ll tell this young buck how he should be behaving...

get asked all the time and you know when the conversation is heading that way. i nip it in the bud politely, and self certification is the perfect excuse! as others say, why risk steady income for a quick guilty earner. same as cash jobs, 'ok, i'll risk investigation/prosecution just so YOU can save 20%' sure! the guy i work for is far from the perfect boss, but likewise i'm far from perfect too! he always pays and has fed n watered family and much like op's subbie, i return that by not poaching customers. i sleep well too!
oh yeah, agree, speak to dad, we're never to old to be 'ticked off' by parents!

Reply to Cheeky builder tapping up my staff in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net