Discuss Chemical fixing or Resin fixings to secure trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
Have a job on a very old historic building and the architect is asking for the trunking ( white plastic 25x 40) which is horizontal for about 12m to be secured by chemical / resin fixings

This is not something I have come across before,have used resin fixings before for a rawlbolt type of fixing but that's not gonna work for pvc trunking let alone the fire rated clips
Ideas ?
Or any pointers for fixing in general to really old to crumbling walls
Any Help as always much appreciated

The architect spent years at Uni and at great expense studying for his degree and then worked in a menial capacity at a "firm" to gain knowledge and experience to become a jumped up know it all with unattainable ambitions,

To be honest just look him straight in the eye and say the following "you're the genius so tell me what I need to use"

A Resin will do the trick, even holding the fire clips but more likely to cause extensive damage to the building if and when the trunking/resin needs to be removed!
Yes the resin is likely to hold a filing cabinet to the wall! But will it sustain its adhesion with the effects of a fire??

The architect spent years at Uni and at great expense studying for his degree and then worked in a menial capacity at a "firm" to gain knowledge and experience to become a jumped up know it all with unattainable ambitions,

To be honest just look him straight in the eye and say the following "you're the genius so tell me what I need to use"

I doubt he or she is 'jumped up know it all' or sees themselves as a genius. Just somebody doing a job to the best of their ability.

I doubt he or she is 'jumped up know it all' or sees themselves as a genius. Just somebody doing a job to the best of their ability.

Yep,this is true,but to have the confidence in specifying a particular product,he or she,must be able to have knowledge of the type,supplier and method.

Any architect or similar,who comes back with the often trotted "Well you are the installer...what do you normally do..." may often,not know,themselves.

Not knowing the state of what is being drilled,and,not withstanding the ugly choice of containment,it may require an initial base or track to be fixed,on which to fix the trunking.

I can think of several better methods,and of several ways of doing what has been asked,all of which rely on further discussion,and elongating someones budget :)

They can be condescending, let them specify the fixings as then if it fails it's down to them but some won't do that as it's a risk to themselves as if it does fails the contractor just points his finger to the architect.

I had an involvement,with an architect,on a previous job,where there had been a lot of back and forth,regarding some groundwork. It had got a bit "heated",with the client and civils lads,so i offered to act as go-between.

The architect in question,just couldn't manage to outline the methods of following his own drawings,so i asked for a site visit.
He said he could come down,that day,but it would mean charging a full days wages.

I told him,that if he had given us the practical solution to his drawing,by the time he was leaving,i would pay him there and then.

Anywho,the long and short...we devised our own method,building inspector was happy.......and i'm still waiting,for the architect to turn up.....:rolleyes:

Had many a run in with architects, one asked us to earth all the metal capping on a job prior to the plastering, he refused to let the job continue until we had.. we did what he requested and sent the client an invoice for the extra labour and an informed letter of why we did it.

I heard later that the client and the architect fell out over it and we never saw him on site again. :)

The worst ones for me are the Clerk of Electrical Works, we did a school in Huddersfield and this was his local catchment area, he explained he had overseen the previous work to the school and he wanted to maintain the high standards which we had no issue with, well that was until he started inventing regulations and requesting unnecessary works.. anyway I came across a isolator for a DB at the far end of the school and when I opened it up I found the Neutral had been fused :eek:. I played this find carefully as there was a installation detail of the company on it, I asked him if he had worked alongside this company and overseen there work too which he was all too happy to acknowledge and recommended them for there high standards.... I then showed him my findings and what they had done on his watch, he knew enough to understand the sheer danger of what we found and the fact in a fault if that N had blown instead of the phase it could potentially have risen the potential of the earthed metalwork in the building with deadly consequences... this was a junior kids school as well, anyway I told him I would be filing a report and forwarding it to his boss although I could overlook the whole matter if he got off our backs.. we never saw him on site again in the following 2 months of the work :cool:.

Reply to Chemical fixing or Resin fixings to secure trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock