Discuss Chemistry graduate looking into retraining as an electrician; how is the industry and is it worth it in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tcol91

-
Reaction score
I'm new here and I apologise in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place. I would just like some advice on the electrician route as I'm meeting conflicting opinions on it from family and friends.

First and foremost, I completed my degree in chemistry in 2014 and have been working various chem jobs since. I don't enjoy it, I'm often bored out of my mind and clock watching. The pay is shocking and jobs are getting fewer and far between.

I've been thinking about becoming a spark for a while now, however my parents are saying they know loads of sparks that are out of work. On the other hand, I know of a few sparks that seem relatively happy and are busy constantly. My point is, is this going to be another job in which I get qualified and then cannot find work in?

I'm looking at a training with a local provider that uses the EAL courses; level 2, 3 + 17th ed and wiring regs. I'd do the course in the evenings and once finished I understand I'd have to find experience in order to build my portfolio.

My question is, I'm having to get a loan to do this course and I don't want to end up spending the money only to be in another industry that's suffering. Is it worth it? Why are there so many bad reviews about becoming a spark?

Thanks to anyone that replied.

I have had no problem with shortage of work in over 50 years
There is and always has been good demand for electricians and it likely will continue for ever and a day in my opinion
There is however problems with the training routes that have become numerous in the last ten or so years
Traditional means of training via a four or five year apprenticeship was and is the best route to producing a competent "acceptable to industry" spark

These apprentice routes are getting less and less available and are traditionally served by youngsters leaving full time education
Since the advent of domestic Part P building regulations the industry has been in meltdown as far as training and competence are concerned
Short (expensive) courses have been used to enable trainees to get paper qualification with little or no practical experience to go alongside

There are so many that have entered the trade via these courses that many find the lack of hands on experience deters employers from using them
Some give up and regret their investment,others use schemes and self employment to somehow gain their experience on the back of the unwitting customer

If you could train via a local college rather than fast track things and get part time employment to gain the oft omitted hands on experience you will not regret becoming a spark
If you short course, pay a fortune and try and wing it,you will more than likely fail

Des has just about covered it,but better advice may be offered,if you could give a few more details.
Age,time and type of training you undertook,to gain your present position,would be useful.
Also,what type of electrical work you would want to be involved in,cards in,S.E,etc.

You say you are "having to get a loan",which should read "choosing to get a loan",and this "choice",should be based on a sound knowledge of what the course can guarantee,and your expectations of what will be available to yourself,afterwards.

Thanks for your reply.
In terms of more details I'm 25, living in greater Manchester. I'm not sure what you mean by training, so for chemistry I did a sandwich degree which included a year unpaid in industry. From there I've worked in analytical chemistry usijg instrumentation. I moved into product development in manufacturing roles which is where I am currently. I work for a company that manufactures jewellery polishes and household cleaners.

For electrical work, I'm not sure what there is on offer. I'd like to work for a firm that goes out to install/fix things and maybe some building work. I'd be up for domestic work also, but I'm leaning towards industrial as I've been told it pays more and the work is more frequent.

I'm having to take a loan out because I can't afford to pay £5k to do a course. I may be able to pay it in instalments out of my wage, but I don't exactly earn a lot. I have only read what the course offers, I'll provide the link: EAL Level 2 and Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations | Erudite Training Ltd - http://www.eruditetrainingltd.co.uk/level-2-3-diploma-electrical-nvq.html

From my naive and limited perspective, it seems worthwhile. However I will let anyone with experience be the judge of that.

I have had no problem with shortage of work in over 50 years
There is and always has been good demand for electricians and it likely will continue for ever and a day in my opinion
There is however problems with the training routes that have become numerous in the last ten or so years
Traditional means of training via a four or five year apprenticeship was and is the best route to producing a competent "acceptable to industry" spark

These apprentice routes are getting less and less available and are traditionally served by youngsters leaving full time education
Since the advent of domestic Part P building regulations the industry has been in meltdown as far as training and competence are concerned
Short (expensive) courses have been used to enable trainees to get paper qualification with little or no practical experience to go alongside

There are so many that have entered the trade via these courses that many find the lack of hands on experience deters employers from using them
Some give up and regret their investment,others use schemes and self employment to somehow gain their experience on the back of the unwitting customer

If you could train via a local college rather than fast track things and get part time employment to gain the oft omitted hands on experience you will not regret becoming a spark
If you short course, pay a fortune and try and wing it,you will more than likely fail

I have had a look at apprentice routes, but I've struggled to get on with anyone. Some of the big companies such as Balfour Beatty have advertised and I did apply, but I never heard anything. It seems like it's more of a "who you know" situation.
Also, I'm a recent homeowner so there's a certain amount of money I need to be earning to keep a roof over my head. Some of the apprentice wages are too low for me to take and keep my mortgage. I don't understand the rules behind it fully, I've been told they'd have to pay me more as I'm over a certain age (I'm 25), but others have said they pay an apprentice wage for the first year and then minimum for every year after. I'd love to learn the traditional route by way of apprentice as I think you achieve a much higher standard of learning and experience, but as far as I'm aware there isn't much going near me for electrician apprenticeships.

stay in you current job or find better. meanwhile see if you can get on a local college course evenings. for l2 and l3. EAL or G&G. this way you are still earning. try and get part time practical experience with a loca spark or 2. then to get an approved electrician's card, which you'll need for any industry jobs, go on to the AM2 and NVQ3.

I'm a physics graduate in a similar position to OP. I work two jobs, one during the week doing advertising and writing technical documentation for a small engineering company. At the weekends I work in a supermarket. I'm stuck in a rut and I'm desperate to change my life...

But let's get down to brass tacks: to become an electrician one should stay away from "training providers" and try to learn from a local college. Meanwhile ask local electricians if they would be able to offer me experience?

I'm a physics graduate in a similar position to OP. I work two jobs, one during the week doing advertising and writing technical documentation for a small engineering company. At the weekends I work in a supermarket. I'm stuck in a rut and I'm desperate to change my life...

But let's get down to brass tacks: to become an electrician one should stay away from "training providers" and try to learn from a local college. Meanwhile ask local electricians if they would be able to offer me experience?

I say it with the best intentions, but I'm glad I'm not the only science graduate to be thinking this.

People keep mentioning local college routes, but from what I can see they are exactly the same. My local college offers the same courses with the same structure for roughly the same price. The college route is a tad bit more expensive, but only by a few hundred.

Is there not a sideways move you could make in chemistry such as water treatment or similar - this could lead to worldwide work if you required it.
A question to ask also is, 'are you practical and good with your hands and able to adapt and engineer'? This is something that can't be taught in college and I don't believe easily by a mentor without that 4 year apprenticeship style where you would learn it all at a steady pace.
I do agree that a trade in sparking does look glamorous!

Tcol91, what was the moment you really discovered you wanted work as an electrician? For me it was watching someone install inverter control on one of the electric motors my current company sells. It was fascinating to me as a physicist (I loved electromagnetism) and of course I couldn't help but like the apparent creativity and usefulness of being an electrician. That looks much more like the person I would like to be. (I don't enjoy being sat behind a computer for 8 hours a day designing emails and writing propaganda.) I reckon I could probably be a good electrician but I can't do it alone (like I did with music...) - I will need teachers.

Rpa07, sideways moves for a physicist involve (so far as I can tell) learning a lot of computer programming and I can't stand the thought of looking at a computer screen for the rest of my life, that's what brought me here.

Is an apprenticeship really the way to go? I hope not because that ship has sailed for me now. I'm past age 25.

Thanks for your reply.
In terms of more details I'm 25, living in greater Manchester. I'm not sure what you mean by training, so for chemistry I did a sandwich degree which included a year unpaid in industry. From there I've worked in analytical chemistry usijg instrumentation. I moved into product development in manufacturing roles which is where I am currently. I work for a company that manufactures jewellery polishes and household cleaners.

For electrical work, I'm not sure what there is on offer. I'd like to work for a firm that goes out to install/fix things and maybe some building work. I'd be up for domestic work also, but I'm leaning towards industrial as I've been told it pays more and the work is more frequent.

I'm having to take a loan out because I can't afford to pay £5k to do a course. I may be able to pay it in instalments out of my wage, but I don't exactly earn a lot. I have only read what the course offers, I'll provide the link: EAL Level 2 and Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations | Erudite Training Ltd - http://www.eruditetrainingltd.co.uk/level-2-3-diploma-electrical-nvq.html

From my naive and limited perspective, it seems worthwhile. However I will let anyone with experience be the judge of that.

Hi,so, before i reply,do not take any of my answer,to be negative,or pessimistic,it will just be a practical view,bearing in mind,we do not know most of your personal circumstances.:)

At a big guess,you must have been minded,to select F.E from 16 to 18,towards your Chemistry,then a further 3 years at least,to employment,in that field?

That is 5 years plus,of guided education,in a particular field. Now, we accept you will have an excellent grounding,in maths,analysing of results,adherence to methodology,etc,but you may start to realise the suspicion,of stand-alone courses,offering to get a person,to an employable position,in a reduced period of time.
The question is,would the company you work for now,employ a person in your role,if they were a qualified heating engineer,18 months ago,but did a course?

That chunky caveat aside,there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever,why you could not change your career,or train to do anything. I have many friends,of all ages,who did just that. From trades to legal,banking to art,physical to musical...my mum did an English language and Literature degree (1:1) and then a masters (distinction) at 65 years of age ;) so,i can tell you,there are no inevitable paths.

What there are,however,is amounts of technical data,rules and regs,some which alter,there are methods of work,techniques and training,use of equipment,and experience of situations,with both people,places and kit,which all take time,to absorb.

Any employer will not want to be the one donating any of the above,if they can help it,and any course provider will only be capable of adding some sections,and i am speaking as someone who has both wrote,and delivered training.

I reckon,and this is just my angle,that is only a person's determination and perseverance,which can ensure a successful career change. Courses,work experience,and plated opportunities will not guarantee success,without that drive.

Keep us informed with your journey,do not let any of us,on here,put you off :)

Is there not a sideways move you could make in chemistry such as water treatment or similar - this could lead to worldwide work if you required it.
A question to ask also is, 'are you practical and good with your hands and able to adapt and engineer'? This is something that can't be taught in college and I don't believe easily by a mentor without that 4 year apprenticeship style where you would learn it all at a steady pace.
I do agree that ak glamor trade in sparking does looous!
I do agree that a trade in sparking does look glamorous!

...In the same way as that chick looked,only to find out,the morning after,it was Lily Savage...:(

Hi,so, before i reply,do not take any of my answer,to be negative,or pessimistic,it will just be a practical view,bearing in mind,we do not know most of your personal circumstances.:)

At a big guess,you must have been minded,to select F.E from 16 to 18,towards your Chemistry,then a further 3 years at least,to employment,in that field?

That is 5 years plus,of guided education,in a particular field. Now, we accept you will have an excellent grounding,in maths,analysing of results,adherence to methodology,etc,but you may start to realise the suspicion,of stand-alone courses,offering to get a person,to an employable position,in a reduced period of time.
The question is,would the company you work for now,employ a person in your role,if they were a qualified heating engineer,18 months ago,but did a course?

That chunky caveat aside,there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever,why you could not change your career,or train to do anything. I have many friends,of all ages,who did just that. From trades to legal,banking to art,physical to musical...my mum did an English language and Literature degree (1:1) and then a masters (distinction) at 65 years of age ;) so,i can tell you,there are no inevitable paths.

What there are,however,is amounts of technical data,rules and regs,some which alter,there are methods of work,techniques and training,use of equipment,and experience of situations,with both people,places and kit,which all take time,to absorb.

Any employer will not want to be the one donating any of the above,if they can help it,and any course provider will only be capable of adding some sections,and i am speaking as someone who has both wrote,and delivered training.

I reckon,and this is just my angle,that is only a person's determination and perseverance,which can ensure a successful career change. Courses,work experience,and plated opportunities will not guarantee success,without that drive.

Keep us informed with your journey,do not let any of us,on here,put you off :)

I don't think your being negative at all; your being realistic. There are paper mills for every industry that pump out "qualified" individuals that can't find work afterwards. I linked the course in one of my earlier replies to you, and having looked at my local college course they seem very similar. If you think the course isn't worth it, I will listen because at the end of the day for someone in my position it's a lot of money.

My plan would be to do the course in the evenings, once a week. It includes 3 hours of self study also. I'd then help out an electrician I know at weekends to gain that experience. The course length is around 40 weeks, which gives me more time to actually gain experience with an electrician. It'd be domestic experience, maybe some small businesses here and there, but its better than no experience whatsoever.

I have applied to several apprenticeships as I believe they are the best way to learn. But I've heard nothing and don't expect to due to my age and circumstances. I could wait and see what turns up but that's just wasting time in my opinion.

I don't think your being negative at all; your being realistic. There are paper mills for every industry that pump out "qualified" individuals that can't find work afterwards. I linked the course in one of my earlier replies to you, and having looked at my local college course they seem very similar. If you think the course isn't worth it, I will listen because at the end of the day for someone in my position it's a lot of money.

My plan would be to do the course in the evenings, once a week. It includes 3 hours of self study also. I'd then help out an electrician I know at weekends to gain that experience. The course length is around 40 weeks, which gives me more time to actually gain experience with an electrician. It'd be domestic experience, maybe some small businesses here and there, but its better than no experience whatsoever.

I have applied to several apprenticeships as I believe they are the best way to learn. But I've heard nothing and don't expect to due to my age and circumstances. I could wait and see what turns up but that's just wasting time in my opinion.

that plan is, IMHO, the way forward.

How long would it take to be qualified to do even the most basic kind of work such that you can begin to gain at least a little money and experience?

What sector would you be intending to operate?
Is it basic Domestic installation,Commercial installation,Industrial or maintenance The term electrician covers a very broad spectrum The qualification requirements and experience varies quite a lot

Maybe a look at the website for the JIB may give you indication of the requirements that employers look for,the criteria to be registered with the Jib
If you can attain a Jib grading it opens up many opportunities

Domestic installation may require you to become self employed to get started,becoming scheme registered soon after you start up, get most of your experience on the job (unfortunately winging it at the expense of your customer)it is not morally right, however,it has been a choice countless would be sparks have taken when the doors remain closed to them as Domestic sparks

For more complex installation or maintenance work there appears to be no short cut and both qualification and experience is required over very long periods

Good luck with your choice of route to getting where you deserve and keep a tight reign on funds to enable you to reach your goal

I was until very recently in a similar position, so cant really give andy advice on teh proper route. Looked at spakie work but couldn't really afford it, but got something slightly different route of Substations apprenticeship.

If you can get an apprenticeship remember as a older student it's only your first year that's at a lower rate of pay.

Had friend who put himself doing while working as an evening replen supervisor in a B&Q store.

Try and sell yourself remember yes you'll be more costly to employer but you've got a few years of work experience, you are not a green 16 years old you are used to turning up work on time 5 days a week. Use that to your advantage in selling yourself.

• I did the youngster route and served my apprenticeship which I completed at the age of 22. I'm now working for an agency/subbing to gain more experience in other industries. Being apprenticeship time served puts you steps above: mates and improvers. Most firms prefer you to have experience in Industrial and Commercail sectors as they are more demanding than domestic. Agency work will help to gain experience whilst still taking home £8ph as a mate.

Reply to Chemistry graduate looking into retraining as an electrician; how is the industry and is it worth it in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net