Discuss chipboard floors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
afternoon guys, just been to look at a shower install, got 15 meters of cable to fit under hall floor but its chipboard, ive been working on old houses for years, fitted these bleeding boards but just wondering the best way to lift them, obviously joists are all running the other way, dam modern stuff.

cut a section out, wide enough to get a drill in for the joist holes. refit with glue.

You can get a board cutter made by armeg. Its basically a big holesaw that also cuts a small lip recess. You bung it up with a plastic disc afterwards. Cutters are about 25 quid I think and the discs are about a quid each. You might be able to cover the cost in the job price.
Either that or as tel says cut a hatch then fix it back with short lengths of 2x2 or something.

from his OP, i think the joist are the wrong way for fishing through.

If the joists are running the opposite way that will mean a lot of holes, I personally prefer running the circ saw all the way down it and creating a run all the way down so much easier to put back and work under

Dammit must have left my reading eyes upstairs. Lol ignore what I said then, unless you have an angle drill for the joists.

If the joists are running the opposite way that will mean a lot of holes, I personally prefer running the circ saw all the way down it and creating a run all the way down so much easier to put back and work under

that's my preference as well. a good idea is to have a plumber on standby as you can guarantee the pipes will be tight up against the fllor.

what tool would you use to cut this hatch blatently going to come across this one day soon and to have some idea of how to go about it would be good. take my room for example its got chipboard as the floor and its all tounge and groove stuff my dad says. I wanted to put 2 double sockets on a wall but to do so I would have had to try to get this floor up which literally goes right under the skirtingboards and I was told that its a right bugger as it wont go back down how it was and will squeek all the time. What Ive had to do is put the sockets somewhere els, a make do soloutin and spur a socket in the room opposite. Ive got one of these circular saws but ive never used it, the last thing I would want to do is have a go and then go through a pipe .

i just use a holesaw (96mm?) just big enough to get your hand in / drill head. Carry loads of batten, just screw two CL5 battens back under the hole when finished (if you're crafty you can seal the hole up and glue it as well if you're really keen) and the circle you cut out back in.

yeah ok theres a little gap all the way round it, BIG DEAL!!

if you're careful you 'll never hit a pipe or anything.

cheaper than that 30 quid amhole armeg nonsense :)

Thanks guys I've sacked this job in as I just found out that the owner is into selling illegal substances for a living! Had a walk away hunch about this job before I even set foot in the house, thanks anyway guys

Thanks guys I've sacked this job in as I just found out that the owner is into selling illegal substances for a living! Had a walk away hunch about this job before I even set foot in the house, thanks anyway guys

so I've toldyou my secrets for a non existent job ? Bahhhhwhahhaaaaaaa

I do the same mate. Just have to be very precise when setting the cut depth...

Did a job on normal floorboards the other day and VERY glad I was careful with the depth setting, sure enough, missed a central heating pipe by less than a millimetre!

Who cares what he gets upto jobs a job and he might even have asked you to rig up his growing kit!

circular saw, set at ½" depth, then a bit deeper till you get just through the weetabix. it's quite likely that you''ll destroy the weetabix jemmying it up so might have to buy a bit. refit using screws (that's nails with attitude to any wood butchers reading)

I'm seriously considering buying one of those Bosh radar joist/pipe/cable/reinforcing detectors as it would save a load of guesswork with cutting into floors, walls and ceilings. OK at £400:00 it's not going to be a whim purchase, but it wouldn't take many avoided pipes to make that back and I reckon it'd speed the job up a fair bit too.

Bosch D-Tect 150 Professional Wallscanner Detector (D-Tect150)

Sounds like that customer would have appreciated some little discrete and hidden
access holes under the floor!!

Reply to chipboard floors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock