Discuss Chippy to Sparky! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

LiamChip

Hi everyone, I'm 26 and qualified chippy nvq3, I fancy a change or direction and would like to go down the electrical route, I did an apprenticeship in carpentry but not really sure how it works with electricians, Is it possible to become fully qualified doing a part time course. I know when I did my nvq I had to do a portfolio of work I did on site, is that the same? I work for a large maintainence company so that might be possible.

Any info or recommendation would be great
cheers
liam

it depends on what you mean by part time. the normal route is a combination of 4 days work (where you can complete the nvq) and day release at college where you learn the underpinning knowledge. this should take about 3 to 4 years.

if you mean a 5 week course, you won't get many recommendations from the fellas on this site. you're a qualified chippy - would you say it's possible to learn your trade in 5 weeks? i bet it takes that long to learn how to build a structurally sound roof.

i think it's a good idea to learn more than one trade, but i don't need to tell you, that it should be done right.

have a word with your bosses - it would be in their interests, as well as your own, to have a multi-skilled employee on the books.

good luck.

Hi everyone, I'm 26 and qualified chippy nvq3, I fancy a change or direction and would like to go down the electrical route, I did an apprenticeship in carpentry but not really sure how it works with electricians, Is it possible to become fully qualified doing a part time course. I know when I did my nvq I had to do a portfolio of work I did on site, is that the same? I work for a large maintainence company so that might be possible.

Any info or recommendation would be great
cheers
liam

Stick with being a chippy, the money is good and hanging doors with a radio next to you far better than dragging cables in on first fix jobs on dirty building sites, the sparks rate today is no more than a chippies, probably less.

If carpenters are now going to operate as Electricians,should we now be concerned about this new splinter group amongst us :6:

Reply to Chippy to Sparky! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock