Discuss Choc Bloc - Suitable for extending cable to light fitting? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

danny199

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to move a light fitting and switch. The switch, about 20cm, the light fitting, about 60cm. I've been looking online and found a product call the choc bloc, would that be suitable for my needs? The cables are in the attic under the insulation material currently. Some previous work looks like it was extended with junction boxes in another room.

Yes, the choc block is a plastic box. I've attached a pic.

Choc Bloc - Suitable for extending cable to light fitting? bloc - EletriciansForums.net

As above, and strain relief is also required.

Would this be suitable?

https://www.screwflix..com/p/debox-in-line-connector-box/8692h

or

https://www.screwflix..com/p/debox-2sl-screwless-in-line-junction-box/9858r

Thanks, should these be mounted to a joist etc? I've read in some places yes, no in others. I have an existing junction box in the loft and the electrician just left it on the top of the plasterboard and covered it with insulation when he added two more lights to one of the rooms, before we owned the house.

You should be able to pull through the amount of wire you are talking about?

Hi, no, sorry if I wasn't clear, I need to move the light in the ceiling to the middle of the room. There is not enough cable to do this, so i need to connect a bit. I was thinking of using one of those chocbox plastic box things but don't know if I need to secure it to the rafters.

Last edited:
If the box has cable clamps then that will prevent the cable moving and becoming loose so it’s not necessarily needed to secure the box but it’s not hard to do, so I’d personally fix it in place , above any insulation if possible.

If the box has cable clamps then that will prevent the cable moving and becoming loose so it’s not necessarily needed to secure the box but it’s not hard to do, so I’d personally fix it in place , above any insulation if possible.

Yes, the ones I'm looking at have the clamps to secure the cables and the terminal block sits in the middle.

As an aside, is it best practice to keep cables and junction boxes above the insulation. Might be a job, the previous owner installed about two foot of it up there!!!

Yes, the ones I'm looking at have the clamps to secure the cables and the terminal block sits in the middle.

As an aside, is it best practice to keep cables and junction boxes above the insulation. Might be a job, the previous owner installed about two foot of it up there!!!
If possible I would always fix above the insulation so it’s more accessible to find and being a screw terminal connection, it needs to be kept accessible for future inspection and testing.
Appreciate that it’s not always possible on existing wiring

If possible I would always fix above the insulation so it’s more accessible to find and being a screw terminal connection, it needs to be kept accessible for future inspection and testing.
Appreciate that it’s not always possible on existing wiring

I would think that logically but I might be hard pressed to do that in the current situation. Thanks for the guidance.

Hence the reason for me mentioning maintenance free connectors...

Sorry, just to check, the terminal connector I was thinking of using is 16amp, I believe this is suitable for a lighting cable extension?

the quickwire is maintenance free, no need for earth sleeve, easy fit in seconds. £5 a pop. also has the facility of adding another light if required. .

Reply to Choc Bloc - Suitable for extending cable to light fitting? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock