Discuss Choc block with tape in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an EICR today in an old thatched property. Old wall light in hall, obviously not enough room behind to enclose the connections.

Cable surface routed and connected to light fitting with choc block on the outside and taped up with black tape to blend in with the light fitting!

How serious? Would like others opinions on category, if at all!

A joint in a choc block, on the surface, with virtually no mechanical protection.
Insulation tape isnt a good enough protection, it needs to be in a box, or other suitable enclosure.

A joint in a choc block, on the surface, with virtually no mechanical protection.
Insulation tape isnt a good enough protection, it needs to be in a box, or other suitable enclosure.

I get that, but you have described it as potentially dangerous, so if the customer asks what the potential danger is what would you say?

All you have done is describe what should have been done, not why.

it's potentially dangerous to a fly if the tape is sticky side out.

A piece of tape is not robust enough to stop anything poking through it.
It's be just like a piece of unsheathed single core poking out the side of a box, no immediate danger, but easy to become a danger, as its mechanical protection is limited.

I get that, but you have described it as potentially dangerous, so if the customer asks what the potential danger is what would you say?

All you have done is describe what should have been done, not why.

Ok, we all have an opinion but you seem to be criticising someone else's judgement as it maybe different from yours. Everything is subjective and unless someone is blantently wrong its unproductive to question others without at least putting your own views forward.

I'm just interested in other people views and haven't given my opinion so as to not influence the responses given.

I think its more the Case to EXPLAIN what and Why

So why give it a C2 and say 526.5, and not sure what it is off hand.
but to explain why you feel its a C2 and in clear discription how you came to that point.

and all depends on the colour of the tape. is it harmonised colour? is there a sticker on the CU warning that the installation contains tape to 2 didderent versions of the regs.?

Ok, we all have an opinion but you seem to be criticising someone else's judgement as it maybe different from yours. Everything is subjective and unless someone is blantently wrong its unproductive to question others without at least putting your own views forward.

I'm just interested in other people views and haven't given my opinion so as to not influence the responses given.

I'm not criticising his opinion, I am asking about the reasoning behind the opinion.

A piece of tape is not robust enough to stop anything poking through it.
It's be just like a piece of unsheathed single core poking out the side of a box, no immediate danger, but easy to become a danger, as its mechanical protection is limited.

...Just to play devils' advocate...Why would anything terminated securely, in a chocky,poke through? Or is it the fear of someone poking through,from the other side,and if so,there are lots of areas,electrically speaking,where one should not poke...

I think any perceived danger,should readily,and easily,be able to be described to a customer.

I have a memory of a similar conversation,between a spark,and a client,regarding the risk of not renewing an old DB,where he stated one of the dangers of keeping it,was if a child "poked a paper-clip" in it...the client answered"...well they could do that in any plug-socket..."

I recall the poor spark,not having an adequate reply...

Reply to Choc block with tape in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net