Discuss Chocbox in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi socket,

I've used them before. Never used one as a junction box before as I've never seen the point using a terminal strip and a chocbox when a junction box is made for the job and is cheaper to boot. However, I've used them for insulating the terminal strip joining runs of flex (such as for the lights under my kitchen cabinets). They're bigger than you'd expect (but then it makes sense when you think about the width of 3 bits of a connector block) but screw to the underside of the cabinets nicely out of the way. Also much neater and professional looking than taping the connector up.

Screwfix do 'em. Cat no 46538.

Socket2me - I have used these and all my customers have been very happy. Used for simple jobs they look much more professional than tape around the connnector strip. I got mine from a new website getchocbox.co.uk. Some people say they are pricey but believe me the customer is happy to pay

Be carefull out there.

Believe it or not the humble little joint box we all love and cherish that we use when putting up these fancy light fittings (designed with the installer in mind) may no longer be allowed for that purpose according to the gospel of the nic man who kindly pointed this out to a friend of mine.

The reason why.

No cord grip in a jb. So if the light decides to do one and goes on a downward mission, unnecessary strain may be placed on the flex.

Well i've heard some crap in my time but what a load of ********.

So i think we may be seeing a lot more chocboxes in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be carefull out there.

Believe it or not the humble little joint box we all love and cherish that we use when putting up these fancy light fittings (designed with the installer in mind) may no longer be allowed for that purpose according to the gospel of the nic man who kindly pointed this out to a friend of mine.

The reason why.

No cord grip in a jb. So if the light decides to do one and goes on a downward mission, unnecessary strain may be placed on the flex.

Well i've heard some crap in my time but what a load of ********.

So i think we may be seeing a lot more chocboxes in the future.

Sub, I think some of these assessor types need to remember the old addage;
"If it aint broke dont fix it"...............JB's are great & do just what they were designed for & as you say with the installer in mind.
As for the lack of cord grip does a cable clip just outside the jb, clipping the cable to a joist not do the same job :D (granted may be difficult on a suspended grid ceiling :rolleyes:)

The NIC guy who came out with this is talking a load of hypothetical BS,I have never been called to put right a light fitting because the only thing supporting the fitting was the wiring supplying it!!,If the fitting is installed correctly there should be no need for a cord grip.By this thinking then surely the pendant that we all use should be another candidate for this guy as well??.
Feel this inspector has lost touch with reality,he needs a couple of weeks on a sub-zero site,roughing out new builds,this may change his mind.

Minky,

i agree the NIC get WAY ahead of themselves sometimes.

And i hate to be picky, but the pendant HAS got a cord grip. And If I was doing a PIR and the cordgrips were damgaged/broken on ceiling roses then I would be commenting on it.

I USE CHOC BOXES [OOPS INT CAPS] and joint boxes all the time both do a good job depends on the requirements . . . .but i also agree with minky some people are making an art form outa wot is common sense ,mainly NIC the bastids [oops]. . . .;)

i saw this episode of dragons den and i nearly lost my mind , this is not a new invention by any means and this guy "fair play to him" has made 25 million sterling on it already, they are called coffin boxes here in ireland and not manufactured by the same company either , i am a quallified electrician and we use these frequently as an enclosure for connecting our flex to our supply/ loops in spots /downlghters . i dont know what kind of patent the people had onthis product but id say they are fairly jacked off now

Reply to Chocbox in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock