Discuss choosing cable voltage rating in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

you select cable so as the rated voltage is higher than the actual voltage of the installation. no point in using 1kV rated cable on a 415/240V installation when 450V rated is compliant.

Also you might find that certain styles of cable are only available in the higher voltage rating.

There is nothing wrong with using the higher rating as such, but it can cost more and lead to larger cables to wrangle.

you select cable so as the rated voltage is higher than the actual voltage of the installation. no point in using 1kV rated cable on a 415/240V installation when 450V rated is compliant.

I agree, it seems obvious and yet much of the cable sold installed in Australia is 0.6/1kV. I'm trying to understand why this when 450/750 appears suitable?

A mechanically robust cable will usually have thicker, stronger insulation than a lightweight one, which allows it to be rated for higher voltages. There would be no point marketing a range of similar cables rated only for the lower voltage range, as the saving in material that could be achieved without diminishing the general capabilities of the cable would be minimal. OTOH Where small size and low cost are important the insulation is reduced and the voltage rating must be lowered to suit.

Reply to choosing cable voltage rating in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hi guys / girls , any advice would be appreciated, So the situation is a domestic property has a 3 phase supply , from the service head we have 3...
Replies
Views
So earlier this year I obtained a large machine with a couple of 3 phase motors in it, and the rest single phase. I bought a VFD, correctly wired...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for a connection diagram or sugestions for a 2.2Kw single phase motor to drive a compressor. The spec plate shows that it can be...
Replies
Views
We have a meter EDMI - ES30B fitted to our property. I understand from the fact sheet for the smart meter...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock