Discuss Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

Ian-LS

My colleague went to a site survey today and took a photo of an installation across the road. How mistakes can you spot?

Answers on a postcard

Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes 012 - EletriciansForums.net

I am only seeing two possible but only possible mistakes.

1. the shading but they could have solar edge hooked up so it wouldn't matter.

2. The clamps could be in the wrong place... but some manufactures do allow you to clamp them at that end so once again maybe only possible mistakes.

In fact the only thing I can see wrong here is they own a camper van my eyes are not what they used to be though and the picture is taken from far away so prove me wrong !

Well they neednt have put a panel near the chimney if they had moved the system nearer the gutter. That should have meant the panel would have fitted on an unshaded portion of the roof. Baring in mind the chimney is on the south end of the roof.

I actually could have picked a worse installation to be fair.

Yes it could be better... I assume its a 2kw system unless there is another 8 on the back but yes I would have made it line up to the top right rather than have it in between them for shading reasons.... solar edge do a 2200 inverter so it could still benefit having that top panel at certain times of the day but we get bigger shadows this time of the year anyway.

"My colleague went to a site survey today and took a photo of an installation across the road. How mistakes can you spot?"

Gas safe plumber doing a solar PV survey, now that would be a mistake :)

"My colleague went to a site survey today and took a photo of an installation across the road. How mistakes can you spot?"

Gas safe plumber doing a solar PV survey, now that would be a mistake :)

LOL now its so clear ! how did I miss that, I am going to put that in the staff news letter see if anyone sees it !

it'd probably help if Ian had explained that that install is south east facing, so that top panel will be shaded from mid morning all the way through the day all year, and most of the array will be shaded from around mid day onwards.

And yes the PV surveyor in this case is also a gas safe heating engineer who's also a trained solar PV surveyor who did 2-3 months shadowing us on surveys before we let him out by himself on the surveys, and he probably brings back the most detailed survey info of any of our staff. He also processes all the paperwork, does our wiring diagrams, user manuals etc. so he's a handy guy to have on the team even when we've not got much renewable heat stuff going on. Problem?

It was just a bit of christmas fun. No need for point scoring against each other.

There arent that many mistakes on the installation front granted, the design however could be a lot better but i don't know what inverter was used but that top panel must be shaded for a vast proportion of the year and i'm convinced the panel could have been installed lower down the roof if the system were moved down the roof.

Oh and i shadowed my colleague for most of those site surveys and he is very thorough and knowledgable as a result.

No, it was an installation on a house across the road from the house we were surveying.

Next time, i'll put up a photo of a really bad installation instead......

I'm confused? Did you guys install this?
a potential customer live across the road from that installation, and was asking our surveyor if we'd have installed the system across the road or not because of the shading from the chimney which he didn't think was good for solar systems. Our surveyor said he didn't think we would have done as the shading from the chimney looked like it would be pretty bad , but took the photo because he wanted to us check if it was as bad for shading as he'd thought it would be, so we had a quick look on google earth, and it's pretty clear the shading is going to be terrible.

I don't generally think these sort of threads are a great thing for promoting solar PV generally, but we've just done a report for a customer of a now bankrupt firm who'd ignored a chimney in a similar situation to this, claimed no shading in the SAP calcs to justify charging through the nose for the system, and the system is actually now producing around 40% below the estimates and will probably not pay for itself as a result until around the 20th year if she's lucky. So if this and similar threads helps potential solar owners to ensure that shading is properly considered in their system design and installation then maybe it will do some good.

I don't like the look of that bottom anchor. Looks about 750 from the edge to me. Very puzzling. Chimneys seem to be the biggest shading issue with badly designed systems that I have seen.

I think a lot of this stems from the problem of subbing the roofing work out to a team of roofers. Granted, some of these teams may well be great and do a good job but I've seen the results of some of the bad ones and they're depressing.

The photo below was from a job I visited where the roof work had been carried out by a team of roofers - without using scaffold. Not a single clip was used and the cables were just run through the garage like this. No DC isolators were used and it frankly looked like a temporary job.

Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes Wirin - EletriciansForums.net

I agree with Gavin with regards to threads on poor systems, maybe it would help if we could have a sticky with a gallery of good jobs that forum members have installed, the more intersting the better, any thoughts?

Reply to Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock