Discuss Christmas Lights Section Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I had an electrician install some LED rope lights on Friday. The lights have worked fine until today. Now there is a small section which is not lighting up. They are 220V and IP65 Waterproof. Please can someone tell me how to correct this?

Thank you,
Joe

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Lighting.jpg

Looks like just that section are broken, it does coincide with the space between the window and the bottom of the white wall so doesn’t look awful until he returns.
Basically they are broken and need replacing under your sparks warranty. He won’t be pleased but ah well.
I bought the same type on a 50 metre reel from LEDkia which is Polish but we’ll worth the saving and seemed great quality 240v IP65 outdoor LED. You can only cut and join them at the 1 metre mark so I had to get creative when I fitted with some garden walls. Turned out great.
The plug has a rectifier on the end of the flex and sorts the control side of it.

The problem with IP rated rope lights is that they’re sealed. You get a broken connection inside and it’s done. Can’t get in to repair.
Replace under warranty.

You cannot fix it. there is a faulty led in that section.
The run will have to be replaced,
Without knowing more about the warrantty conditions
( if there are any ).
We cannot say who is responsible,
whom supplied the lights ?
If the electrician supplied them ?
And you ask him nicely,he may oblige.

Xmas lights are notoriously prone to faulty connections. Even the branded ones have “made in China” stamped on them.

It doesn’t matter how careful you are with them.
I’ve hung up a multi coloured string along my gutters, 50m of it that I keep perfectly on a drum... I don’t try to put it back in the box it came in.
There’s a blank area right above the front door, which is very near the beginning of the string, but isn’t too bad as there’s another deco there.

Buy new ones for next year in the January sales, might be a little cheaper.

If my neighbour had stuck something like that up out their house I'd be blacked up in the middle of the night armed with my trusty pair of Knipex 6 in 1...........

Thank you for the responses. The lights were purchased from eBay. They didn't come from China, but they were made in China (as most things are these days). So, should it be the responsibility of the electrician or the eBay seller to replace them?

Thank you for the responses. The lights were purchased from eBay. They didn't come from China, but they were made in China (as most things are these days). So, should it be the responsibility of the electrician or the eBay seller to replace them?

Is that a serious question?

Your own photo clearly shows that the rest of the lights are energised and running fine, so how can it be the installers fault? I'm assuming you did purchase them yourself - based on your knowledge of their origin.

Chinese LED products will either last for 1 day, or the rest of time. Most of the time they're OK but they lack the quality control and also the heat management and electrical protection from US and most European products. You got unlucky.

Reply to Christmas Lights Section Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net