Discuss Cigarette port lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If I have two caution lights for my car that are powered by the cigarette port on my car and I leave them on when I turn my car off how long till my battery dies.

If I have two caution lights for my car that are powered by the cigarette port on my car and I leave them on when I turn my car off how long till my battery dies.
As above, need some more info.
If your 'caution lights' are the equivalent of UK hazard lights, do they flash?
Also, can we assume your battery is in good condition, and deliver its specified ampere-hours?

I see plug-in 'hazard' lights anywhere from 3W to 24W, the latter suggesting they should work for up to a day or so, but if you want to be able to start the vehicle after they've been on, it's more complicated to calculate, as you can see from the article below (and the link there to battery performance)

A typical car battery has a capacity of 80A hours, and your light consumes 1.43A, so a simplified calculation says it will last about 56 hours.
This assumes that the battery is fully charged and in as new condition, and the 56 hour will use every last bit of energy available, so if you want the car to start afterwards, halve the 56 hours to 28.
Are these lights ordinary incandescent lamps? Changing for LED would extend the period drastically?

A typical car battery has a capacity of 80A hours, and your light consumes 1.43A, so a simplified calculation says it will last about 56 hours.
This assumes that the battery is fully charged and in as new condition, and the 56 hour will use every last bit of energy available, so if you want the car to start afterwards, halve the 56 hours to 28.
Are these lights ordinary incandescent lamps? Changing for LED would extend the period drastically?
They are led but it seems safe to say they would be able to run without the car on for 2-3 hours no problem. Even without a new battery

If they won't run for 2 - 3 hours without causing problems, then you urgently need a new battery or attention to the charging system.
We're not familiar with the term "caution lights" in the UK. Can you enlighten us a little, please?

If they won't run for 2 - 3 hours without causing problems, then you urgently need a new battery or attention to the charging system.
We're not familiar with the term "caution lights" in the UK. Can you enlighten us a little, please?
Flashing yellow and white caution lights for like construction vehicles and stuff. I have a led light bar for it in my windsheild.

Reply to Cigarette port lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net