Discuss Circuit Breaker needed for Split Air-con with Inverter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all. I´m installing a new multi split Air Conditioning (Inverter Type) in my dwelling and I have to purchase all of the electrical parts needed for the installer. I am currently running a 63a Type-A RCCB and I was told by the electrician that I could use the Type-A with a 16a Type-C MCB but according to my research, I need to upgrade to a Type-B RCCB. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Hello all. I´m installing a new multi split Air Conditioning (Inverter Type) in my dwelling and I have to purchase all of the electrical parts needed for the installer. I am currently running a 63a Type-A RCCB and I was told by the electrician that I could use the Type-A with a 16a Type-C MCB but according to my research, I need to upgrade to a Type-B RCCB. Does anyone have any experience in this?
Do you not trust your Electrician Johnny? Rather that get the stuff yourself, you ought to let him supply and fit what is required, German Engineering is very good.

He is a friend and commercial electrician. He is quallified up to 1k Volts I believe he said but he told me that he has not done any residentual electrical work and that leaves me to doing the reasearch. If neccesary, I will call another electrician out but I was hoping to find a simple solution.

You need to know the load of the unit and then size circuit protective devices and cable. Ask the Electrician what supply they require.

The manual that came with the unit is not very discriptive and just states: ELCB that can handle harmonics > MCB 16-A > Outside Unit

Assume it is single phase.

Not sure what the regs are in Germany. Over here that would get a 30ma 61008 RCD (>16A) in series with a 60898 C16 or instead a 61009 C16 RCBO would be the order of the day.
2.5 or 4mm circuit conductors dependant on PFC at origin, install method, length of circuit, VD etc.
As I said don't know German regs. We would not normally protect AC on RCD over here unless absolutely forced to by install method.

Daikin kit is amongst the best, so good choice of brand.
You'll need an IP67 rated rotary isolator beside the outdoor unit, to isolate the whole system.
The indoor unit takes its 230V from the outdoor unit and you'll have an FCU beside the indoor unit for local isolation.
As already stated, installation method and rating factors must be considered, also depending on how the cable to the outdoor isolator will be routed may influence the cable selection (i.e. avoiding exposed T/E outdoors)
Type C protective devices are usual for this equipment, due to the inrush current on startup.

Agree with C16 either MCB or RCBO depending on whats up front. This system looks like a 2 room multi-split with both rooms indoor units powered from a 3C+ earth direct to outdoor unit. I personally do not use indoor local isolation as there is little point, you still need to isolate the compressor before working on it. So i cable direct using YY cable. Daikin are the Daddy, R32 gas is the new stuff bit more flammable than R410A so have it serviced regularly.. .....

FWIW, never had to install a Type B yet for these small units. The larger ones dont yet command RCD protection.... suspect that may change.......
The leakage currents are very very small and the more modern the unit the less impact they are having on supply harmonics. I would expect the latest Daikin baby unit to be more than happy on a type A.
UNLESS Daikin STATE IT MUST BE A TYPE B

Just a thought though. A/C units do leak to earth, even if its a small amount. I do remember one flat i went to that had 3 large units all fed off one up front RCCB, they were experiencing random tripping. Once i added all the leakage from the AV equipment they had as well as the a/c, there was no wonder it was tripping as the combined leakage of the whole flat was well above 15mA, cannot remember how far over it was but i simply put each a.c unit on a separte RCBO.....

Agree with C16 either MCB or RCBO depending on whats up front. This system looks like a 2 room multi-split with both rooms indoor units powered from a 3C+ earth direct to outdoor unit. I personally do not use indoor local isolation as there is little point, you still need to isolate the compressor before working on it. So i cable direct using YY cable. Daikin are the Daddy, R32 gas is the new stuff bit more flammable than R410A so have it serviced regularly.. .....
It's a 2 room multi 2.5kw for bedroom and 3.5kw for living room. I ran a 4x1.5 between both indoor units to outdoor. I ran all cable through cable canal and piping canals
Just a thought though. A/C units do leak to earth, even if its a small amount. I do remember one flat i went to that had 3 large units all fed off one up front RCCB, they were experiencing random tripping. Once i added all the leakage from the AV equipment they had as well as the a/c, there was no wonder it was tripping as the combined leakage of the whole flat was well above 15mA, cannot remember how far over it was but i simply put each a.c unit on a separte RCBO.....
Thanks for the reply. As I said before, I am no electrician. My father is, and I worked with him many of summers in his company but he´s in America and the US has a completely different system. I also wasn´t allowed to do any work in the breaker box and for good reason. With that said, I have a "decent" understanding of running wires, connections, GFCI´s, etc..I however don´t completely understand everything in the box. This is exactly what Daikin gives in the manual. It´s quite vague. Nowhere does it specificly state that it must be a Type-B but according to my research, it would need a Type-B because of the inverter. We also do have several computers if that does play a role.
Circuit Breaker needed for Split Air-con with Inverter daikin3 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Circuit Breaker needed for Split Air-con with Inverter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock