Discuss Circuit Breaker needed for Split Air-con with Inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My electrician friend here said that he would recommend leaving the Type-A and just installing a C16 for the unit. Any thoughts? Or would I be better with a RCBO "x"16? Would the RCBO be run off of/in sequence with the RCCB or would that cause problems?

Last edited:
Valid options are: C16 MCB leave RCCB in place as electrician suggests, possible outcome too much leakage overall, however, this is a small chance. I have two outdoor units off a RCCB in Spain but there's just a TV, Sat receiver and laptop.
2nd option C16 RCBO, this will need the board to be re-jigged and may not be physically possible if the board is old and not designed for RCBO's. / not enough room for a common isolator if there is not one already.
I would go with your electricians suggestion as if it does not work, he will be the one to figure out why.

My electrician friend here said that he would recommend leaving the Type-A and just installing a C16 for the unit. Any thoughts? Or would I be better with a RCBO "x"16? Would the RCBO be run off of/in sequence with the RCCB or would that cause problems?

Where an upstream device is rated similar to the RCBO, there will be no selectivity therefore won't prevent nuisance tripping.

Valid options are: C16 MCB leave RCCB in place as electrician suggests, possible outcome too much leakage overall, however, this is a small chance. I have two outdoor units off a RCCB in Spain but there's just a TV, Sat receiver and laptop.
2nd option C16 RCBO, this will need the board to be re-jigged and may not be physically possible if the board is old and not designed for RCBO's. / not enough room for a common isolator if there is not one already.
I would go with your electricians suggestion as if it does not work, he will be the one to figure out why.
Thanks. I believe we will start there. In any case, we would still need to install the c16. We can always get a Type-B RCCB later and install if needed.

Reply to Circuit Breaker needed for Split Air-con with Inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net