Discuss circuit breakers with electronic trip units in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daisy

I would like to know more about these circuit breakers.
I know how to set the overload protection(In x Io x Ir) which makes sense, but I don't understand the other optional settings. Don't worry you engineers out there, I'm not installing one.
question 1) short circuit protection Im x Ir - why is this setting used? Is this to allow for high startup currents and how do you calculate it?
question 2) earth protection. Why and how do you calculate it?
question 3) both these can have time delay. When would you use this?
question 4) instantaneous trip. Why?
thanks in advance - I know you all have the answers
p.s. plain english please.

Reply to circuit breakers with electronic trip units in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

After 24 years my septic lift station pump and high water alarm needs to be replaced. It was tripping the breaker and the alarm was no longer...
Replies
Views
My circuit panel has two banks of breakers, each bank protected by an RCD. One of these RCDs has been problematic in that it trips intermitantly...
Replies
Views
Background Two weeks ago, lightning struck a tree in our yard. Many circuits tripped and several electronic devices failed. There was a strong...
Replies
Views
I have a 20 amp gfci pool pump breaker that trips only when the pump is off during the night. Pool pump runs fine all day. I turn pump off...
Replies
Views
DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock