Discuss Circuit in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

flukeyspark

Hi all,

Im gonna install a new circuit in my own garage & use it to show as one of my jobs for the NICEIC, so it needs to be spot on.
I have a spare way on the cb on the RCD side so ill use this.
Now is it best to install a radial or ring final? All im putting in there is about 4 2 gang socket outlets. Also is it best to run the cable in conduit or is acceptable to clip to the wall exposed?.....................:confused:
Any ideas most welcome.............. cheers........

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want it to be spot on run a 2.5mm radial around the garage in 25mm black plastic conduit, you can spur off this for the lighting. As you have stated that you can rcd protect this circuit that is great, but don't forget to make sure that you have 10mm bonding cables to gas and water as this is the first thing he will check.

Rules of assesment,

1 : Make him cup of tea
2 : Do not answer questions he hasn't asked
3 : If he offers advice look grateful
4 : Make sure you have all the documents, test records etc ready for him.

Good luck with it all.:D

Hi

Ring or radial does not matter, it might be better if its a radial though because on your inspection the inspector might ask you to test the circuit, easier to test a radial than a ring main when under pressure. You will need to install the sockets out of hitting distance of the car, so at height or above a work bench. A domestic garage you can install clipped or trunking or conduit it depends how exposed the cables are. If you wanted to you could clip at high level then drop with trunking/conduit. With the NICEIC as long as you can explain what you have done and why you should be OK.

Regards

Or if your really nervous a capachino with some exlax and say when he arrives you have a stomach bug after 10mins he wont hang arround long enough for a 100% inspection and if you come across really compitant in first 10mins you should pass no worries.:D

hi flukeyspark,
best check with nic first as i dont think a circuit in a garage is notifiable work and therefore wont be accepted
best of luck
flukey

Surely any new circuit is notifiable, no matter where............

Thanks for your help & I know what your saying...........but a circuit in a garage may not be notifiable in part p of the building regs, but must need testing & certifying?

hi kung
think it means feeding the garage from your house ;)

best check with nic flukeyspark.
think you have to do a job that would be notifiable under their scheme as thats what you are trying to enroll onto.
you are quite right about testing but that goes with anything you do as a spark.
think they are only interested in anything covered under the scope of part p.
dont forget if its not covered under part p then you dont have to notify labc either and nic normally like to see completion paperwork including labc sign off.

Last edited:
Hi Flukey !
Yer norm they like a rewire or cu change etc
Best to be safe than sorry as its still almost £500 for the assessment.

you got it kung.
best to check what they will accept before booking assesment and make sure you ask whether they want labc sign off because if thats missing it wont be a very good start to the assessment :eek:

Why not run a feed to a new db in your garage? then I would of thought that it would come under new installation and be notifiable.

The main db is in the garage with a spare way.............would it be over excessive to have another at the side of it....................? Thanks for the help.... glad this is making people scratch there heads as well, it seems to be another "grey area". Im pulling my hair out here...............

Hi all,
Just for the record, Ive been on to the NICEIC helpline & they have said that as the garage is attached to the house & the cu is in there, a new circuit is notifiable, & is therefore acceptable to show in a periodic assessment............. None the wiser to be honest...........

therein lies the answer.:)
i thought you had a detached garage, not sure why :confused:.
that is why there is a comment about running a feed across the garden to it is notifiable.
glad you got it sorted.
all the best with the assessment.
let us know how it goes.

Thanks chaps for your input.............who'd be a spark nowadays..............?

Ill let you know the outcome........

would it not make more sense to run a sub main in SWA from house! Into a 2way board then stick sockets and lights on RCBOs

Reply to Circuit in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock