Discuss Circuit passing through Bathroom zone in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

So im fitting a new ring final circuit (I did advise a radial) in a newly built extension. the least disruptive way of feeding the cables to the extension is up into the ceiling void and along through the 1st floor bathroom floor (The client has had the common sense to not tile the bathroom floor yet thankfully) and then through the back wall which brings the cables out in what will be the ceiling of the extension.

My question is where the bath has been installed I`m going to have to bring the cable up above the floor boards under the bath where I`m not going to be able to cut notches to keep the cable below because of the bath. I`m just having a look at the OSG P93 (701.411.3.3) and it says that any circuits passing through zone 1, (it could be argued under the bath is outside the zones as the bath panel will be siliconed on but i`m treating it as zone 1 for now), needs to be protected by a 30mA RCD which it will be so reading this says to me this should be fine? Just wanted to clarify with the experienced guys if there is anything i`ve missed or if im right in thinking this is ok to go ahead?

Thanks in advance

As this is a ring final circuit I'm guessing it supplies socket-outlets? If so it would require 30mA RCD protection which would normally be provided at the source of the circuit so a bit of a pointless question?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Hi Strima, no the question was about the physical cables passing under the bath but above the floorboards, was just checking this is ok from what I have read in the OSG, I`ve only been let loose into the real world for a couple of months so just checking i`m interpreting things correctly

Can't you do a 90° turn run it beside the bath in the void then turn it in again?

Also how is the waste pipe run?

I can`t get the floorboards up under the bath so cant get to any joists there so it just leaves me to run it under the floorboards where I can up to the bath then bring them up just under the edge of the bath behind where the bath panel will be and then can feed them through the wall into the extension bit if that makes sense?

Any circuit cables running through a bathroom (zones1 and 2) require RCD protection I believe 701.411.

Last edited:
I still don't get it - your RFC will be fed from an RCD anyway won't it? So what's the issue? Apologies if I'm missing something here.

I was just clarifying that the cables are ok to pass under the bath not in the void under the floorboards because I can't get the floorboards up and run the cables under, it looks like it's fine from what the OSG says as yes they are protected by an rcd but being a noob I just wanted to check I wasn't abouts to do something thats a no no

Ah fair enough. I thought you might be trying to omit RCD protection, sorry.

I'd come across something similar on a bathroom refurb, except this time the cables were in the way of the new bath legs, pipes etc and plumber just unclipped them and shoved them out the way. I put them in a piece of mini trunking, just to protect the cables from other aspiring tradesman person.

Reply to Circuit passing through Bathroom zone in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock