Discuss circuits protected by 100ma in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

all circuits? what even cooker supplies and lighting even if the cabling is in surface mini trunkings and the loop impedance readings are within range?

No I know that but I thought it had to be 30ma maximum but now I know aslong as it is protected by rcd it's ok

well I don't agree with that. if we are talking about an existing installation which for argument sake is 20 years old and no sockets near the back door so a lawnmower can be plugged in for example then I wouldn't even code it, so why suggest it needs rcd protection? obviously a new build we treat things differently, but you are only doing an EICR yes?

The EICR is just to say the installation is still safe to use. 100mA RCD does not make it unsafe, so no comment is required on that.
You could, however, recommend installation of 30mA RCD protection to circuits you believe require it

in this case I would have said a code 3. no code at all would be wrong as it is the duty of the inspector to inform people of deviations from the regs. as code 4 has been scrapped in the new amendment code 3 takes its place. it does not fall under code 2 as this is for situations that would become hazardous under fault condition in this case there is rcd protection in place. however the regs state that 30ma rcd protection should be used to protect people, 100ma is to protect buildings. the regs also state that sockets 20a and under to be used be unskilled/ unsupervised people should be protected by rcd no more than 30ma. we are to assume by this that the general public fall into this category and sockets at minimum should be protected by 30ma rcd. stick with code 3 mate and youll be covered!

Reply to circuits protected by 100ma in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock