Discuss circuits wired in flex? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gap30

hi all,

had a bit of a discussion with a guy at work today, carrying out a periodic and there was a circuit wired in flex at the DB, i seem to think this is a code 2 but cannot find anything in the regs to back this up?

is it ok for circuits to be wired in flex?

Depends on what type of ''Flexible'' cable your talking about!! I wouldn't call appliance type flexible cable, suitable for building wiring... But it seems anything goes these day's, so nothing really much surprises anymore on the forums Threads and posts!! ....lol!!

Have a look at 521.9 this permits flexible cable if meeting the regs and of heavy duty type or mechanically protected.

I would not have though it would be a good idea, but it is still just a conductor.

For a PIR it would not be coded just because it was flex.

Listen, regardless of whether it's clearly defined in the regs or not, I agree with Engineer 54. It is bad practice and again sets a low standard of installation that no self respecting electrician would even contemplate putting their name to!!!
As for a PIR, I would note it down as deviation from the regs. because it is agreed practice to use recognised types of cables for "hard wiring" as we used to call it, before all this shoddy practice was introduced!!!
Next, people will be saying it's ok to use bell wire for fir alarms and it's ok to use multi core flex to carry 240v circuits alongside ELV circuits just because it's easier than running two seperate and segregated circuits!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac it can't be a deviation if it is allowed in the regs can it mate.

Whether it is regarded as bad practice or not, if your doing a PIR and find a circuit wired in flex then you can't code it unless it is undersized or mechanically compromised in some way.

Its used in the fabric of a motor home or canal boat. If anything it could be argued it have extra properties although i would be worried if vibration, etc was a concern in one's house!

However doesnt feel nice as madmac says, I suppose not the done thing

I would never do it, but this came up when I was doing my 2391. The guy taking the course said "as long as it is installed, inspected and tested to the regs, then there's no problem in using flex"

Again, I wouldn't do it, but if you are carrying out a PIR, the only time it would be noted as an observation, is if there is a problem with the circuit or installation methods.

This makes me laugh, the ones who are against it just keep saying its bad practice. Sorry lads it's not. It's not a deviation, or against the regs. It just something you personally don't like. I happen to agree in the fact that I would not wire circuits in a house in flex but I wouldn't try and force my opinion on others. The facts are it is up to the individual and that is it

the trouble with flex is when you get someone that cuts some of the strands of the multicore conductor when stripping it, they then end up with a smaller CSA and a higher resistance and lower current capacity without knowing it. Also over time when terminating more and more strands will break off making the situation worse. I can understand it being used in certain lighting situations but certainly not under plastered walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on the CCC and other properties of the"flex" more and more shop fitting ,motor rooms,bouler rooms are being done with YY and SY "flex" but a lot are wrongly installed specialy the glanding and earthing of braids
Then there is the question of colours in 5 core YY all cores are black with numbers on them many PIRs iv seen no other markings put on the cores not even on the earth its Shoddy instaqllers who give a bad name to this stuff the YY,SY are good in many other ways when installed CORRECTLY but its easy to mess up the installation of these

As i said, if were talking ''appliance'' type flexible cable, that isn't, ...as far as i know anyway, been manufactured or classified for ''hard wiring'' then it shouldn't be used or seen in that context!! There are plenty of flexible types of cabling that IS classified/manufactured for hard wiring, .... i don't think anyone can or have objection to those cables being used. But if were talking about the appliance flexible lead type of cable, then things have gone way down hill... That's like installing a general off the shelve extension lead as the permanently supply of a circuit to my mind!!! Very Professional, ....NOT!!!!

On holiday a few years ago (more like 10) in menorca there was a hotel that had been half built and never finished!
The whole place had been wired in flex.. I did enjoy exploring around..
So anyway It may not be what we all Like, but as our colours have already changed I do wonder how long it will be till we Have to wire in flex.. Im of the old school and if i find flex im straight into thinking DIY even though as others have stated its not against regs.. we all need to move foward

On holiday a few years ago (more like 10) in menorca there was a hotel that had been half built and never finished!
The whole place had been wired in flex.. I did enjoy exploring around..
So anyway It may not be what we all Like, but as our colours have already changed I do wonder how long it will be till we Have to wire in flex.. Im of the old school and if i find flex im straight into thinking DIY even though as others have stated its not against regs.. we all need to move foward

It may have looked like common flex, but more probably wasn't!! They use different wiring cables in Spain to those used in the UK. Some can certainly look like flex, that's for sure!! lol!!

I'm not exactly sure that common appliance flex does comply to the Reg's?? As it isn't rated or manufactured as a hard wiring building cable, ...It is what it is, appliance cord!!!

so all you guys who dont like using flex run all your outside lighting in t+e then? clipped dierect to the outside of a house looks great? and doenst perish at all?
and on a comercial not i have seen plenty of cctv systems that use twin coax and 2 core flex cables.

Reply to circuits wired in flex? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net