Discuss circuits wired in flex? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

so all you guys who dont like using flex run all your outside lighting in t+e then? clipped dierect to the outside of a house looks great? and doenst perish at all?
and on a comercial not i have seen plenty of cctv systems that use twin coax and 2 core flex cables.

Oh well then, ....that must make it all, all right then!!! Off you go then, and on your next re-wire you can use common flex chord to wire the house, lights, sockets, ...you name it. ...Geezus!!!

what is common flex cord and whats with appliance flex. never seen appliance fley longer than a metre. i dont think 2.5 flex is appliance flex do you are you all the new breed electricain so cos you dont like it you tell the customer ist wrong and that part needs rewiring. ive not used flex to rewire a gouse but of course have run flex where i thought it was appropiate

there is no reg against using flex as long as its the correct size and as for strands coming of when stripping . .well practice a bit more and strip it correctly easy hmmn

what is common flex cord and whats with appliance flex. never seen appliance fley longer than a metre. i dont think 2.5 flex is appliance flex do you are you all the new breed electricain so cos you dont like it you tell the customer ist wrong and that part needs rewiring. ive not used flex to rewire a gouse but of course have run flex where i thought it was appropiate

there is no reg against using flex as long as its the correct size and as for strands coming of when stripping . .well practice a bit more and strip it correctly easy hmmn

There are plenty of kitchen appliances wired with 2.5mm flex for god's sake, and some even in 4mm flex in commercial kitchens. And where pray, do you consider appliance/common flex is appropriate then?? ....Running under floorboards thru joists interconnecting between downlights, maybe down to the switch positions??

Nothing wrong with connecting, say from a lighting JB to a down-light or fitting with a short length of flex with some form of heat resistant sleeving on the connection leads... But, running round the ceiling under floorboards connecting up several down-lights as the circuit wiring isn't what the flexible cable was made or intended for!!

''Easy'' just about sums up what it all comes down too

Common flex = Appliance flex

most appliances are wired in 1.5 flex
wouldn't need heat resisting sleeving if you used heat resisting flex and flec could be used to run around cielings for say down lights
where does it say its wrong ???
and i dont agree with your terminology common flex or appliance flex. is that what you would call it when you went into your wholesaler ?

flex is fine in the right application, ie outside or final connections to immersion heater or from rock light fittings etc

Someone please tell me the major difference in having flex and twin and earth clipped above a ceiling? A serious and proper answer not rubbish like flex was not intended for this use or it's bad practice

most appliances are wired in 1.5 flex
wouldn't need heat resisting sleeving if you used heat resisting flex and flec could be used to run around cielings for say down lights
where does it say its wrong ???
and i dont agree with your terminology common flex or appliance flex. is that what you would call it when you went into your wholesaler ?

In your case then, ...We'll call it ''hard wiring''!! ...OK

Personally, i don't really care what or where you, or anyone else uses it!! Just don't try and come here and convince us, that this practice is perfectly normal cause it isn't and never has been. What it is, ....is easy installation!!

In your case then, ...We'll call it ''hard wiring''!! ...OK

Personally, i don't really care what or where you, or anyone else uses it!! Just don't try and come here and convince us, that this practice is perfectly normal cause it isn't and never has been. What it is, ....is easy installation!!

Brilliant and informative answer.

Someone please tell me the major difference in having flex and twin and earth clipped above a ceiling? A serious and proper answer not rubbish like flex was not intended for this use or it's bad practice

What can't you understand then, about not being manufactured for the intention for use as hard wiring?? Is that not a good enough reason for you? If you want to use a flexible cable above and around ceilings as you circuit medium, use a flexible cable that IS intended for use as a hard wiring cable. It's simple logic really!!!

Just to set the record straight, after 30 odd years of stripping 'flex' for terminating I do not need to practice, and as far as i'm aware any multi strand flex when disconnecting for testing and re connecting will if care isn't taken get damaged.

What can't you understand then, about not being manufactured for the intention for use as hard wiring?? Is that not a good enough reason for you? If you want to use a flexible cable above and around ceilings as you circuit medium, use a flexible cable that IS intended for use as a hard wiring cable. It's simple logic really!!!

Where do you get your information on what flex is manufactured intention is?

Where do you get your information on what flex is manufactured intention is?

H05 type flexible cables are generaly intended to supply appliances and equiment. I'm not too conversant with European cable designation numbers these days, more conversant with the Yank/Asian systems.... But i think the attached is a pretty good example of what i'm talking about, if these are the cable designation types that are being used for hard wiring....

Application: 318-Y Cable H05VV-F to BS6500For use in household appliances such as washing machines, spin dryers and refrigerators. Generally unsuitable for outdoor use or industrial applications.Standards:
0.5 - 2.5mm² to BS6500,
4.0mm² to BS7919
6.0mm² generally to BS7919
VDE28
CENELEC HD21.5

Application: 309-Y Flexible Cable H05V2V2-F to BS6500Supply leads for use as 318-Y but particularly for use in high temperature zones, for internal wiring or supply cords to electrical apparatus. Not suitable for outdoor use.Standards:BS6500, BS7919 above 4.0mm²Conductor:Class 5 flexible plain copper to BS EN 60228:2005 (previously BS6360)Insulation:pVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Type TI 3 to BS7655Sheath:pVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Type TM 3 to BS7655Colour:WhiteVoltage Rating:300/500VTemperature Rating:0 to +90°CMinimum Bending Radius:6 x overall diameterCore Identification:
2 Cores: Blue, Brown
3 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Blue
4 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Black, Grey
5 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Black, Grey, Blue
RoHS Compliant

Application: 318-TQ Cable H05BN4-FFlexible cords suitable for use in domestic premises, kitchens and offices. Also suitable for use in hot situations such as immersion heaters. Good resistance to oil and grease.Standards:BS6500, VDE 0282Conductor:Class 5 flexible plain copper conductorsInsulation:EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) CompoundSheath:HOFR Compound (Heat & Oil Resistant, Flame Retardent)Sheath Colour:WhiteVoltage Rating:300/500VTemperature Rating:-35°C to +85°CMinimum Bending Radius:6 x overall diameterConductor Identification:
3 Cores: Brown, Blue, Green/YellowRoHS Compliant

Last edited by a moderator:
As somebody who has had only a year and a half in the domestic sector, and having a mining background, I like the idea of using flex instead of single wired armoured!!!!!!

:smile:

ive had this conversation with engineers in the past and they reckon the only reason we dont always use flex is because of cost, apart from that there isnt anything wrong with it apparently.

and as for numptys cutting strands out when striping ends is this any different to them cutting into a solid core slightly when stripping solid strand cables? #

I worked in a steelworks alongside a big italian electrical contracting firm who were also pulling in and connecting large cables but every cable they pulled in were large flexible cables much easier to work with on a larger scale, have better current carrying capabilities and also better for terminating.

not that I use flex to hardwire from dbs but ive seen it done especially in office environments, but i have used flex between lighting in office situations at the clients request,

and as for "appliance flex" i dont know what e54 means there but when i order a drum of flex from the wholesalers it just says flexible cable on it and i just make sure its the right size for its purpose and is a reputable brand.

flex is great in situations where movement is expected like i said in office ceilings but i personally hope it doesnt become a form of hard wiring because i can strip a t+e quicker than i can a flex

H05 type flexible cables are generaly intended to supply appliances and equiment. I'm not too conversant with European cable designation numbers these, more conversant with the Yank/Asian systems.... But i think the attached is a pretty good example of what i'm talking about, if these are the cable designation types that are being used for hard wiring....

Application: 318-Y Cable H05VV-F to BS6500For use in household appliances such as washing machines, spin dryers and refrigerators. Generally unsuitable for outdoor use or industrial applications.Standards:
0.5 - 2.5mm² to BS6500,
4.0mm² to BS7919
6.0mm² generally to BS7919
VDE28
CENELEC HD21.5

Application: 309-Y Flexible Cable H05V2V2-F to BS6500Supply leads for use as 318-Y but particularly for use in high temperature zones, for internal wiring or supply cords to electrical apparatus. Not suitable for outdoor use.Standards:BS6500, BS7919 above 4.0mm²Conductor:Class 5 flexible plain copper to BS EN 60228:2005 (previously BS6360)Insulation:pVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Type TI 3 to BS7655Sheath:pVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Type TM 3 to BS7655Colour:WhiteVoltage Rating:300/500VTemperature Rating:0 to +90°CMinimum Bending Radius:6 x overall diameterCore Identification:
2 Cores: Blue, Brown
3 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Blue
4 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Black, Grey
5 Cores: Green/Yellow, Brown, Black, Grey, Blue
RoHS Compliant

Application: 318-TQ Cable H05BN4-FFlexible cords suitable for use in domestic premises, kitchens and offices. Also suitable for use in hot situations such as immersion heaters. Good resistance to oil and grease.Standards:BS6500, VDE 0282Conductor:Class 5 flexible plain copper conductorsInsulation:EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) CompoundSheath:HOFR Compound (Heat & Oil Resistant, Flame Retardent)Sheath Colour:WhiteVoltage Rating:300/500VTemperature Rating:-35°C to +85°CMinimum Bending Radius:6 x overall diameterConductor Identification:
3 Cores: Brown, Blue, Green/YellowRoHS Compliant

'Flex' is an awful term. I also sometimes refer to HO5 AND HO7 neoprene trailing cabling as flex but I think what they're referring to as flex in this thread here is what we call 'PVC cabtyre'.

wow! this thread opened a can of worms.

I frown on flex in db's to hard wire circuits, i know there is no reg against it but it smacks of diy to me, it seems that most sparks are split on this one.

anyway i wont be listing it as a remedial anymore, fack it i am starting to lower my standards these days....

Reply to circuits wired in flex? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net