Discuss City and Guilds 2357 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

evanz89

Hi guys, this is the course I am looking at doing:

City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) (2357)

Is it a worthwile qualification to have in the industry and does it make a qualified electrician to work in home's etc. Im looking at doing it to become a multi skilled engineer as I have an NVQ 3 in Aeronautical Engineering (Mechanical) but have no electrical experience. I've looked around a bit but it seems fairly new and can't really find much info on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ross

Yes, it's 'the' qualification to have to be an electrician.
As you say, it's a new qualification so reviews will be thin on the ground, but it is supposed to combine the old technical certificate and NVQ3, plus a new module on renewable energy.

Is there any specific information you're looking for?

Adam is spot on it is the new qualification to become an electrician. But be careful if you want to work as a sparky you really need to a full apprenticeship programme ( 3-4 years ) and not just the qualification at an FE college. Also the criteria for getting on the course and funded (16 - 24 year olds) is that you are employed on the books by an electrical company.
We have started teaching the new diploma this year, i think its a fairly good course so far but is not without teething problems.
Hope this helps.

hi mate, im on this course and it is def the best course but as said above theres a few problems that get on your ----, like so many assignment questions are the same just re-worded. only other this is it is clearly aimed at a student or some with not much life as there is so much paper work to do in your own time. saying that i had to pick again i'd still have done this course.
i just have my nvq part and am2 left now.

Hi steve i am 17 and just passed my first unit of this course with a distinction ( Health and safety ) I wondered if there is any really good revision and exam practices i can use for my next unit? I would be really pleased if there is any available.

Cheers pal.

what text books are you using at college mate? i have both the linsley books that go with the 2357, very helpful. thought the blue one is more nvq based i think

Hi Guys, I have also started the 2357 course. Which Linsley books are you referring to as the only ones i can find listed state that they are for the 2330 and 2356 basic and advanced electrical installation. Are they the same books?

Hi NJT and others. We ask our students to get the latest Trevor Linsley book (make sure it's the green 2357 diploma one) it is about £20 on amazon. It is a very good book and vital for extra study. Remember this new course is level 3 from the offset so some work out of college is essential. The maths and science gets heavy later on so get on the bbc keyskills website to brush up on algebra, fraction & transposition etc. For exam practice you can get them from Electrical Exams - Multiple choice practise software for the 2330, 2357, 2377, 2382, 2392 and Part P I think each unit is around a tenner.
If you need more info let me know.

Thanks for your replies.. ive been surfing amazon & cant seem to find the 2357 diploma book? could you send me the link?

cheers guys!

If you want to buy books I've got the Linsley 2330 Basic and Advanced books I can sell as I've just finished my 2330

Basic Electrical Installation Work: Level 2 City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate: Amazon.co.uk: Trevor Linsley: Books

Advanced Electrical Installation Work: Level 3 City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate & 2356 NVQ: Level 3 City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate and 2356 NVQ: Amazon.co.uk: Trevor Linsley: Books

these are the new books which are essentially the same just the order re jigged to reflect the progress of the new course

Advanced Electrical Installation Work: Amazon.co.uk: Trevor Linsley: Books

I'm doing this course with OLCI, and they've said that I should go for an electrician's mate job (if I can get one) after I've completed a certain amount of it. However, seeing the comments on this forum about electrician's mates being inferior training to apprenticeships, should I apply to do an apprenticeship, and at what point in the course should I do this? Would my apprenticeship (if I can get one) differ from other apprenticeships?

Can anyone help me or give me an online maths lesson on how to:

find out what MCB i will need?
What size fuse i will need?
what size cable i would use?

i am struggling at doing the maths and science side of things and i want to know how to go and work out what i will need for different materials i will come across in the future?

cheers guys hope you can help!

hi graham.. you should definately wrap up an apprenticeship as soon as you can.. there is a guy on my course at college who has been an electricians mate for 5 years and now he has realised that he wants an apprenticeship.. he has had to move companies to find hes apprenticeship which made his wage decrease. so its really up to you. Aslong as you become qualified in the end its all goooood :)

being looking at this corse, i have the 2330 level 2 and 3 currently and want to get my nvq 3 so i can at least say i am a qualified electrician.
how long would this take to complete and would i have to do all of it as i have the 2330? i am employed full time as a trainee/apprentice for 2 years now, my employer would be happy to keep me on with whatever course but i just want to be qualified with the nvq 3 as such so i can go on to do the inspection and testing etc :) so mainly, how long does this course take please?

or would it be acceptable to just get the 2356 still before it finishes in december? which would be the better and quickest option?

Reply to City and Guilds 2357 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net