Discuss City and guilds 2392 level 2 home learning course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

danielc4514

Hi all
im about to sign up for the home learning 2365 level 2 course. Basically it involves learning all the theory at home, from a home learners pack, and attending collage for the practical and exams.
Has any one else done this? Isit difficult?
i am a trainee domestic installer looking to further my skills and education into the commercial sector within time. I'd really appreciate constructive comments and opinions.

thanks

TBH I really don't want to rain on your fire here but these courses are money grabbing and show little acheivement in the real world, secondly the domestic installer market is saturated with short course wannabe's trying to better themselves but getting duped by the 5 week courses or the online training schemes. Unless your area has a massive shortfall of domestic sparks then save your money.

To be employable in the real world a company will require onsite experience as well as a full college diploma to suit, you may wing it of a short course approach but you will need a lot of experience in a similar industry for an Employer to raise an eyebrow to taking you on. Either do the full 3-4 yrs course with apprenticeship attached or struggle and wonder why! ..

Think about this - why do people go through a 3 - 4 yr course if you can get the same with a 5week course or similar online....

This is my thoughts - others may differ so don't just go with one oppinion.

TBH I really don't want to rain on your fire here but these courses are money grabbing and show little acheivement in the real world, secondly the domestic installer market is saturated with short course wannabe's trying to better themselves but getting duped by the 5 week courses or the online training schemes. Unless your area has a massive shortfall of domestic sparks then save your money.

To be employable in the real world a company will require onsite experience as well as a full college diploma to suit, you may wing it of a short course approach but you will need a lot of experience in a similar industry for an Employer to raise an eyebrow to taking you on. Either do the full 3-4 yrs course with apprenticeship attached or struggle and wonder why! ..

Think about this - why do people go through a 3 - 4 yr course if you can get the same with a 5week course or similar online....

This is my thoughts - others may differ so don't just go with one oppinion.

Thanks js for your swift response :) I totally understand that by doing my level 2 -3 even Nvq doesn't make me any kind of electrician. I know you need vast experience in this sector and will always be learning something new, in order to work as a mate/trainee on most commercial sites, I will need some experience and at least some qualifications to show them I am serious, I know I'll be training for the next 2-4 years and how far I go in this industry is dependant on how realistic and hard I work to learn and achieve.
I personally do not feel any course whether it through a collage or approved city and guilds training centre will make you and electritian, I've seen people do 3 years in collage and not even know what to do with a connector block (no jk!!) experience is king and the theory is deffinately goes hand in hand along side it.

so basically I'm doing the course to open opportunities up for me to gain experience in sectors where as I'd wouldn't get the chance.

Regards dan

Thanks js for your swift response :) I totally understand that by doing my level 2 -3 even Nvq doesn't make me any kind of electrician. I know you need vast experience in this sector and will always be learning something new, in order to work as a mate/trainee on most commercial sites, I will need some experience and at least some qualifications to show them I am serious, I know I'll be training for the next 2-4 years and how far I go in this industry is dependant on how realistic and hard I work to learn and achieve.
I personally do not feel any course whether it through a collage or approved city and guilds training centre will make you and electritian, I've seen people do 3 years in collage and not even know what to do with a connector block (no jk!!) experience is king and the theory is deffinately goes hand in hand along side it.

so basically I'm doing the course to open opportunities up for me to gain experience in sectors where as I'd wouldn't get the chance.

Regards dan

You first step is to learn to spell the title you wish to hold.... Electrician :hammer:

do the level 2 and 3 evenings at college. keep working during the day. try and get mate's work weekends to gain practical experience. if a prospective employer asks where you did your qualification ****** college looks a lot more impressive than internet home study course.

Hi all
im about to sign up for the home learning 2365 level 2 course. Basically it involves learning all the theory at home, from a home learners pack, and attending collage for the practical and exams.
Has any one else done this? Isit difficult?
i am a trainee domestic installer looking to further my skills and education into the commercial sector within time. I'd really appreciate constructive comments and opinions.

thanks
What is this? is it someone who can fit shelves or wallpaper?

I think I'm gonna leave this website. It's seems every time a question is asked, all you get back is negative and stupid comments. You are all so set in your ways that the only route to take to become an electrician is to go to a college that spend far to much time teaching things that really dnt need that long on. Most college leavers come out barely knowing anything, the only ones that know anything are ones working on site. As I stated before I work on electrics daily and am more than prepared to spend the time learning the theory. There are plenty of people who have taken this route and are very good at there job and also plenty that aren't. It's all to do with the mind set, onsite learning and ambition to achieve.

I think I'm gonna leave this website. It's seems every time a question is asked, all you get back is negative and stupid comments. You are all so set in your ways that the only route to take to become an electrician is to go to a college that spend far to much time teaching things that really dnt need that long on. Most college leavers come out barely knowing anything, the only ones that know anything are ones working on site. As I stated before I work on electrics daily and am more than prepared to spend the time learning the theory. There are plenty of people who have taken this route and are very good at there job and also plenty that aren't. It's all to do with the mind set, onsite learning and ambition to achieve.

Over the last decade many changes have occured in the Industry and even the full set college courses have suffered from a dumbing down, the reason been school kids are leaving and coming into the big world full of A grades and smiles and still cannot do basic maths of what a 12yr old could do 30yrs ago... subsequently the colleges have found this an issue finding anyone who can pass, result is a gradual dumbing down of courses and more pressure on employee's to take on ill prepared apprentices.

Coupled with the destructive Part P and the rise the Instant Electrician and also the Domestic installer we now have a domestic front been flooded by ill prepared Electricians, now don't get me wrong there are those determined to make something of themselves and achieve the world but a vast majority fall far below standards expected of an Electrician only a few decades ago, your comment about most coming out of college not knowing anything is shamefully true but thats down to poor school education with disruptive classes and lack of punishment that is effective.

If you are the determined type and strife to achieve and better yourself then I wish you luck and you will probably make something of yourself but I would advice you to research your local area for Electrical companies looking for Employees and apprentices - if you struggle to find any then this is an indication the work is not out there for you to step into unless you have a unique angle and strategy..... we get many visitors and members taking these quick courses and domestic installer options and then realises they are unemployable as companies won't touch them and with lack of experience they often find themselves stuck very quickly.... you say you have Electrical experience, now if you can elaborate Ill comment on how useful it is to you. I'm not trying to rain on your fire here but give you a reality check that hopefully will make you research some more and look at your options - if you still wish to go down that road after this then I wish you all the best and at least you know it may not be a easy route.

Note my reference to school leavers been all A grades and lacking in brains is not a personal dig at anyone leaving school its not their fault its down to the education system itself and hence we are sitting lowest in the world for Maths and English and Sciences which is shameful in context of things ..

Last edited:

Reply to City and guilds 2392 level 2 home learning course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock