Discuss City and Guilds Level 3 - Inspection and Testing practical. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DerbyStudent

I am due to take my practical exam on 16th June for level 3 City and Guilds. I am sure most of you are aware of this (I mean the test, not me taking the test :rolleyes:) and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me, I am going to run every test on every circuit and make sure I get all the results down and hopefully the faults on the circuit glare at me, but the ones who've done it before me said this isn't the case so I'm in a place where I don't really know what to expect.

So any advice doesn't matter how big or little would be a great help, also worth mentioning that I know there is a Motor and Shower Circuit on the rig and I haven't got ANY experience at all in testing either so would appreciate it greatly if someone could just give me the method and what readings I should expect if the circuit is healthy.

thanks again.

If you did'nt know theres a motor to test no different from other circuits but confuses some people again a shower too, the main thing is to remember full safe isolation someone blanked the other day when we went to test and failed so take the exam easy.

I was also told when test insulation resistance your not allowed to test all circuits d.b they have to tested seperately.

Don't forget to check you know how to fully write your paper work like schedule of inspection again someone missed that and failed.

You just need basic knowledge of all testing areas and you will pass easy.Good luck.

Which course is this for?
When I did 2330 lvl 3 there wasn't a shower or motor on the exam test rig, just a cu, a few sockets, lights, ccu and tubular heater.
Remember the exam is in INSPECTION and testing - don't forget to do the inspections first.

In my 302 exam the main CU was full of RCBOs to stop me doing a global IR test. The garage main switch was an RCD; I did a global on the garage board, glanced over at my assessor and he was scrubbing out his X and putting in a tick for something along the lines of "Ability to undertake Global IR test." I don't think you'd get knocked down if you didn't do it, but there is actually a section for it.

Don't get flustered if something goes wrong/doesn't go correctly. My RCD tester decided it didn't want to trip on 180, and one of the RCBOs wouldn't trip! Also watch out for leaving covers off when IR/live testing. Instant fail if you've got more than one cover off during this (although the neon on the shower switch could only be disconnected by removing the cover, so this was allowed).

As James said, you need to know how to fill the forms in. If you don't know how to do this then send me a PM and I might be able to help you.;)

Novus - how long ago did you do your 2330? I think the practical board is designed by the college rather than City & Guilds, so obviously every college is different. Mine had a motor, shower, fan, Edison screw lamp holder (had to verify polarity on that). As above it also had 2 CUs!

Yea its the 302 exam a three pahse motor and a shower they would'nt make use test it if we didn't have too surely?

You had a 3 phase board? OP, speak to your 302 tutor. He should have made it clear what to expect in the exam. Obiously he can't tell you what you'll get, but he should give you a rough idea.

I only did the 2330 2 or 3 years ago and there was only one cu with mcbs and 2 rcds (bunch testing was permitted), sockets, garage cct, cellar cct, lighting, cooker etc - all basic stuff, certainly no polyphase ccts.
The 2391 rigs on the other hand contained things like a motor, shower, fan etc which makes me suspect your tutors may be training you on the wrong rigs.

I questioned bunch testing to my tutor last week and he said that it wasn't permitted.

My college does seem to me pretty **** and not sure themselves what were expected to test and how. So how are we supposed to know?!?

I questioned bunch testing to my tutor last week and he said that it wasn't permitted.

My college does seem to me pretty **** and not sure themselves what were expected to test and how. So how are we supposed to know?!?

Lol i know how you feel ive gotta ask now should i be test a three phase system in the exam they should have this stuff sorted lol.

Lol i know how you feel ive gotta ask now should i be test a three phase system in the exam they should have this stuff sorted lol.

When is your exam?

Ring them up and clarify. It'll be difficult enough on the day, you may as well know as much as is allowed before you start. Do you have any friends doing the exam before you? I knew about every bit of the test rig the week before my exam. ;)

We have being shown very briefly the boards that we will be testing on. Does not make me feel any more confident. Managed get through the 2391 practical so hopefully be able get through 2330.

finished 5-6 hours well ahead of time, found all 9 faults within the first day and finished 90% of my live testing and paperwork yesterday, went in today to finish my live testing and paperwork and was out for 11oclock!

for all the panic I did it made me push harder and got it done in half the time I expected, thanks to everyone on here that passed tips on.. big help!

I only did the 2330 2 or 3 years ago and there was only one cu with mcbs and 2 rcds (bunch testing was permitted), sockets, garage cct, cellar cct, lighting, cooker etc - all basic stuff, certainly no polyphase ccts.
The 2391 rigs on the other hand contained things like a motor, shower, fan etc which makes me suspect your tutors may be training you on the wrong rigs.

The rig that is at our college has a fan shower and motor on it. It is single phase

finished 5-6 hours well ahead of time, found all 9 faults within the first day and finished 90% of my live testing and paperwork yesterday, went in today to finish my live testing and paperwork and was out for 11oclock!

for all the panic I did it made me push harder and got it done in half the time I expected, thanks to everyone on here that passed tips on.. big help!

Well done got mine next Wed

one of my faults was a 415v DOL starter for 230v motor.. had to look twice to make sure my eyes wasn't tricking me, explains why the motor wouldn't start!

was alot easier than I thought, however could of just been because I built it up to be some impossible job!

Reply to City and Guilds Level 3 - Inspection and Testing practical. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net