Discuss City & Guilds 2360 part 2 - employment qualification. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dwnif1

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I took and passed the C & G 2360 part 2 exams apart from unit 2360-202 which I failed. Prior to that, I'd passed the 2360 part 1 exams.

In my line of IT work I may be required to connect mains power via a fused spur for example, but what I need to know is would I be qualified to carry out such basic installation work with the above qualifications?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the competence, but from an employer's liability perspective surely their employee carrying out any such work must be required to have a qualification to do so. Or are we saying that the C&G 2360 exams I've passed plus my experience are enough?

As you say an employer or insurance company or whatever may require whatever particular qualification(s) from you, but legally all you require is competence.

As for whether another entity may require anything in the way of qualifications, I'm afraid probably only they can answer that.

I would still suggest at least do th 17th Ed course. This will at least prove you are conversant with the current edition of the wiring regs.

Isnt it the idea that the qaulifications prove your competance i.e 2391 for inspection and testing

Holding a qualification does not necessarily prove competence. A combination of qualifications and experience might. As I say, legally there is no requirement to hold any qualifications.

As an example you have mentioned the City & Guilds 2391. However, competence is required to Inspect, Test and Certify Electrical Installations. Legally there is no requirement to hold the City & Guilds 2391-10 or any other qualification.

Reply to City & Guilds 2360 part 2 - employment qualification. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net