Discuss city & guilds 2391 or 2392 ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This seems to be quite a popular discussion in my other thread, so i thought i'd make a new thread for it.

Which one should you take first? who thinks its better to take the 2392 first then the 2391, or just jump into the 2391.

Whats the difference between the two? when you come to the exam? and practical. and whats the 2392 all about, what does it show you can do at the end of it compared to the 2391 ???

As Luke says - it will be interesting to know the exact differences and perhaps more importantly - the limitations that 2392 imposes on the 'tester'.

As Luke says - it will be interesting to know the exact differences and perhaps more importantly - the limitations that 2392 imposes on the 'tester'.

ok 2392 is level 2

It focuses on intitial verification only

there is a 50 question, multi-choice online closed book exam, and a 2 hr inintial verification of a test board with single phase 4 way CU, with a ring and spur, and a cooker CCU on an RCD, and a 1363 radial and two light circuit not on an RCD

you have to complete an EIC and scedules of inspection and test results

the limitations are that it qualifies you to do intitial verification only, but doesnt limit you to domestic

(of course, in this context, the only requirement to test and inspect is competence)

my students find it is a great stepping stone for the 2391, and enables thgem to get a formal T&I qual, where for some of them, the 2391 is beyond their current capabilities and experience

thanks shakey, great explanation there, think am going to go for the 2392 first then 2391 dispite it costing more, but I think its all about drilling it into your head (when ur a beginner spark) to get it right, rather than just for the exam and then forgetting most of it the week after. same goes with the new regs, gonna keep reading up on it (so i can be like you shakey :) )

yeah, im going to keep reading and reading the regs book so i can be like the grand master shakey too. seriously now, its time for me to go after the 2391 but I honestly should do the 2392 1st. I don't have any experience with inspection and testing. Theres only so much you can learn from books. Applying to reality is completely different. Does anyone know of a good college in London that runs the 2392 course? It would be a great help. Where do you teach shakey stevens?

yeah, im going to keep reading and reading the regs book so i can be like the grand master shakey too. seriously now, its time for me to go after the 2391 but I honestly should do the 2392 1st. I don't have any experience with inspection and testing. Theres only so much you can learn from books. Applying to reality is completely different. Does anyone know of a good college in London that runs the 2392 course? It would be a great help. Where do you teach shakey stevens?

Shakey 'kin Stevens!!!!!"!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I take my username from the nickname of the master himself, Mr Neil Young

Growing up, i listened to "this old house" by the Stevens fella, then tried "Down by the River" by Mr Young

No contest really!!!!!!!

Anyway I teach in Cardiff, near the Millenium Stadium

You can be here in 2 1/2 hours from London

And you might even get to see Shakin Stevens.......you WONT get to see Neil Young:p

i was enrolled on the 2392 course which should be coming to an end soon but the college cancelled the course at the last minute, looks like the same again with the jan 2010 course not enough people want to go on it so i tried all the colleges in the area (4 ) and none of them are doing the 2392 because they cant get the numbers on the course so it looks like i am going to have to go on the 2391 but currently the colleges still dont have enough to run a 2391 course. i knew i should of done the plumbing course all those years ago.

2391 only covers Initial Verification, meaning if you want a qualification to cover periodic inspections go with 2392. I recently sat and passed the 2392, it does involve quite a lot.

a 2.5 hour written exam plus 4 seperate practical exams which make up a single practical grade.

1. Insulation Resistance fault finding on a mock ccu board.
2. Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test on Live Board and then have to do calculations for the 80% allowance
3. A mock board with deliberate faults/ deviations that you have to find
4. A 2 hour Periodic Inspection on a Live Board

IT IS QUITE IN DEPTH AND NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED.

I did read though that they doing away with the current exam setup and having 2 qualifications from some point in the future. 1 to cover initial verification and 1 to cover periodics. So where just now the 2391 will cover both IV an PIR the new set up wont, meaning everyone will need to sit both exams if you do IV and PIR. Jusy more of C&G and the like raping us for more cash.

2391 only covers Initial Verification, meaning if you want a qualification to cover periodic inspections go with 2392. I recently sat and passed the 2392, it does involve quite a lot.
QUOTE]

You got that the wrong way round mate....2391 IS the harder and more involved of the two. 2392 was dreamed up as a stepping stone to the 2391 due to the high failure rate.

a 2.5 hour written exam plus 4 seperate practical exams which make up a single practical grade.

1. Insulation Resistance fault finding on a mock ccu board.
2. Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test on Live Board and then have to do calculations for the 80% allowance
3. A mock board with deliberate faults/ deviations that you have to find
4. A 2 hour Periodic Inspection on a Live Board

IT IS QUITE IN DEPTH AND NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED.

I did read though that they doing away with the current exam setup and having 2 qualifications from some point in the future. 1 to cover initial verification and 1 to cover periodics. So where just now the 2391 will cover both IV an PIR the new set up wont, meaning everyone will need to sit both exams if you do IV and PIR. Jusy more of C&G and the like raping us for more cash.

Agree with Lenny you've got it the wrong way round 2392 is a level 2 course and 2391 is a level 3 which is the inspection and testing.

sorry, yeah, 2392 is IV 2391 is PIR and IV. Cheers for catching that. Its 2391 I just done, I get the C&G number mixed up all the time.

The 2392 is primarily aimed at defined scope installers who can safely test their own installation work and write up certificates correctly.

I was told, probably quite wrongly as per usual, that the plan was that in future to do the 2391 one would need to have the 2392 qualification first. Any truth in this?

I was told, probably quite wrongly as per usual, that the plan was that in future to do the 2391 one would need to have the 2392 qualification first. Any truth in this?
A lot of colleges are going down that route due to the high failure rates now being seen on the 2391 written exam and practical,it even being as low as 43%, the 2391 has been around since 1997. whether they would allow you to do the 2391 and bypass the 2392 would depend on your experience and competance at testing.

I personnelly feel that all new electrician will have to sit 2392 first, then prove they have gained practical experience of testing before they will be competent too study for and pass 2391, in London now college are charging + £500, I even been told it was over £650 at one college, that a lot of money to spend.

I would study 2392 first, gain more experienc, then sit 2391 so you can get the most from both course.

650 actually sounds cheap for what some places are charging in London. Have run into some paying inyo 4 figures for it!!!

I did mine back in Northern Ireland a few years ago, it was around 180 if I remember, but I worked for a JIB company so the company paid for it.

Reply to city & guilds 2391 or 2392 ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock