Discuss Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Plonker 3

Not had much work lately, had enough money coming in to get by but that seems to be drying up pretty quick right now. So was thinking would I get any Dole if I was to apply for it just to give me a little it of something to at least help make ends meet, being self employed I have never had to deal with this sort of thing before. How does it work or would I just get told tough lick get on with it?

If you go and sign on, make sure you claim for income based JSA, as its far more lucrative from a tax credits point of view, especially if you have a partner working.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are allowed to work 16 hours a week before you loose your entitlement.

Its a ball ache though

if you have a partner working, her earnings would be taken into account for income based and you'd probably get nowt.. if your NI stamps are up to date then you'll get JSA

clean windows if you have too. it is just a metter of going there sitting down waiting and waiting then you get money in your bank which youl spend that day

The only caveat I might introduce is that they expect you to be seeking a job and I am not sure that they would accept: I put an ad in the local paper for my self employed business!

However if you do not have enough money then JSA is the way to go, unfortunately.

A self employed sparky on the dole??? dont go there!!!
if i were you go to kitchen and bathroom companys introduce yourself as a spark and the work will come in.

I think more of us are in the same situation than meets the eye.

I keep having to check my phone - see if it still works.

It's like a ghost town in my area work wise at the moment.

Been in the trade 17 years it has NEVER been this bad.

I ain't afraid to take on other work, I have done all sorts recently from erecting bike sheds to jet washing patio ares, but the money only lasts so long and you can't justify a Sparks wage for them sort if jobs.

The biggest problem seems to be finding work, I have adverts in a few local magazines, flyers and business cards distributed by friends, family and myself but that isn't working. Only started at S/E at the beginning of the year. I didn't expect the work to come flooding in straight away .Had a reasonable amount of money to start up with. But that pot has seriously been hit hard lately.

Dilb you are the same as me,i started ive been sole trader for 15 months,it takes time,i advertise but still dont get the calls,im yet to go for dole,id be on the news if i did,man walks in to local job centre and goes berserk and throttles 10 hooded shisters who are only there for the beer money.As awful as it sounds agency work maybe.keep at it

Been hitting the agencies recently, but again because I am self employed I do not have a CSCS card as no point working for myself. More expense at a time when money is tight.

I went to the job center Jan last year, never again! I won't have a rant on your thread, I'd get banned for life if I did.

On a positive note. If you sign on they ask you what you need to gain employment? They will pay for the cscs card but be prepared to jump through hoops to get it, you'll see what I mean.

They also offer you funding for training up to a limit of £500 to get you back to work. This is NI good if your self employed because every qualification that you have costs more than that so there is nothing you can apply for that would be beneficial to you except the cscs. BTW they don't offer the ecs card for some reason?

Because I've been in the same boat, loan £35 from family/friends to get your cscs card, register with hmrc for a cis card and apply to agencies or sub contract to other firms. I wish you all the best mate

a spark has to clean windows to put food on the table..ffs..

we dont all get a laid out life of sparky work in front of us. and as for asking bathroom company's etc, you very likely have to put the money upfront first which aint easy if not much work happening and have a family.

i aint been paid off a builder in about 7 weeks. and by time i get payed and pay off my account at wholesalers and pay other things im back to square one not that much better off.

so if you clean windows, bit of power hosing cutting grass its all cash in hand.. which keeps you in lambert and butler anyway and petrol to keep motor running..

If your partner is working more than 24hrs you wont get anything!

If your partner is working less than 16 hours get them to sign on (as the lead claimant) that way you can work upto 24 hours

As a guide:
Claimant can work upto 16 hours per week
Partner of claimant can work upto 24 hours per week

Claim income based JSA and you get full Housing Benefit and full council tax benefit

If you and your partner starts working less than 24 hours you will lose your working tax credit (if you have children) but you will get a higher rate of child tax credit.

Im signed on at the moment (Well my partner is on ESA - same as JSA - just a not able to work benefit) this allows me to work upto 24hrs and get £111 per week.

ive been signing on since february this year, and its s**t, got no help with anything at all. if you were a junky with no ambitions they will help you no end. being self employed you will have to prove everything you"ve earnt before you start to get your £67.50 a week. luckily for me ive just got a job with local council, its pat testing but gonna have a wage every month. hope things pick up for you mate, people like yourself dont deserve to end up in dole office

Claim contribution based JSA and get nothing at all after 6 months.

The benefits system needs a major over haul.

its not the benefits system thats needs a overhaul,its society that needs to change,we have the best welfare system in the world,just some choose to play it to its max and take take take,i dont know dillb but he seems a canny lad who wants to work,if he cant find work its the welfare system that helps the likes of him,because you know when he gets a job he's going to be earning and paying his taxes,the ones he's paid before to allow him to benefit from the welfare system,just he isnt getting the help because too many people are taking out what they have never have and never will put in. if people had the morals of yesteryear we wouldnt be in this situation,society is to blame

Having 'the best welfare system in the world' has contributed a great deal to making modern society workshy if you ask me.
I understand some people literally cant get work no matter how hard they try and these people need to be looked after but it has become far to easy to make a career out of being 'on the sick' these days.

Reply to Claiming Jobseekers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock