Discuss Clarification on Minor Works Certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, and I have done some searching here, but not quite sure how to phrase it to search properly.

I have just completed some minor works on a property installed to the 16th, i.e. no rcd's on lighting. The client required replacement of existing ensuite lighting, like for like (to Zone 1 fittings). I checked with Elecsa, to make sure this was acceptable. There was supplementary bonding in the ensuite bathroom, although there was non evident in the water heater/imersion cupboard, although the continuity readings were low (decided to cross bond here anyway).

My question is how to complete the Minor Works Cert. Part 1, sec 'Departures from BS7671 2008'. How do I complete this section in the above circumstances?

My question is how to complete the Minor Works Cert. Part 1, sec 'Departures from BS7671 2008'. How do I complete this section in the above circumstances?

If you are issuing a MWC then you would complete the departures section as "none". You are still complying with BS7671.

However you should note in the comments on existing installation that there is no RCD protection to the existing lighting circuit, but there is existing supplementary bonding in the bathroom and the supplementary bonding has been installed in the immersion cupboard.

In line with what Mr Burns states you are only responsible for ensuring the work you complete is compliant with BS7671. If it wasnt then you would complete the departures section with the non-compliance you are installing complete with reasons for doing so. To the best of my knowledge I cant think of any legitimate reason why you could undertake work not compliant with BS7671 so this section should always be 'NONE'.

If there are any irregularities with the installation c.f. current BS7671 requirements then highlight these in the comments section. If for no other reason than to cover your 'butt' should something untoward happen at a later date due to the non-conformance!

Thanks chaps. Only recently completed my first assessment, so certain bits of the certificates confuse me, but I understand this part now - None it is. I thought I would do a MWC to cover myself, but isn't notfiable - all work in a special location, even just changing a fitting? All though I suppose that would prevent householders from ever doing simple tasks themselves.

would be notifiable only if you altered the characteristics of the circuit, or installed a new circuit.

Reply to Clarification on Minor Works Certification in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net