Discuss Clarity on wires and fuses for ovens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help. We recently had an extension built to house a working kitchen for my new business. The original sparky wasn’t available to fit the oven when we arrived, so we hired another, who said he couldn’t install it as the wrong wire and fuse were fitted.
When the wiring & fuse was installed, I’d planned to use a 4.2kw double built in oven, but as it was not available, ordered a different one of 4.7kw.
Original sparky installed a 2.5 cable with a 40 breaker, the second sparky says we need a 6ml cable with a 32 breaker, and the manufacturer says it needs a 20 breaker. Which one is it?!!! Original sparky’s arguing with our builder saying what he installed is fine, second sparky says it’d be dangerous, could melt, and catch the house alight, which is obviously the last thing we want, especially with two young kids in the house. Help!!!!!

You cannot put 2.5mm2 cable on a 40A circuit breaker. The breaker is there to protect the cable, and the cable could melt before the breaker tripped.

However, the oven only takes approx. 20A. So you could have the circuit changed to a 20A circuit breaker, and it should be fine, depending on how the 2.5mm2 cable has been installed (how much insulation etc). The second sparky should be able to confirm if this is OK.

Is assuming with this that there is nothing else connected to this circuit (e.g. a hob) since you didn't mention anything else!

I’d always go with manufacturers spec...just calcs for cable depending on its run/installation method....

You cannot put 2.5mm2 cable on a 40A circuit breaker. The breaker is there to protect the cable, and the cable could melt before the breaker tripped.

However, the oven only takes approx. 20A. So you could have the circuit changed to a 20A circuit breaker, and it should be fine, depending on how the 2.5mm2 cable has been installed (how much insulation etc). The second sparky should be able to confirm if this is OK.

Is assuming with this that there is nothing else connected to this circuit (e.g. a hob) since you didn't mention anything else!

No, no hob, just the oven. The cable runs in a cavity between either cinder block or brick (depending on the wall), and the plasterboard, and the cavity between the ceiling plasterboard and the flat roof. No insulation in that cavity.
So as long as we replace the fuse with an appropriate one, it’ll be safe?

I’d planned to use a 4.2kw double built in oven, but as it was not available, ordered a different one of 4.7kw.
Hi - what make and model oven is it, if I may ask?

Reactions: DPG
Thanks - having a quick read of the installation manual it does say-

5.1kW
20A
4mm cable

My guess is the manufacturer recommends a 4mm cable to err on the side of safety as the maximum current is likely 22A or less and 4mm will carry that in even the most adverse installations.

Reply to Clarity on wires and fuses for ovens in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock