Discuss Class 2 advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Recently got called to a job where I needed to change over a light fitting and other small jobs. Upon testing the circuit no earth was present, I investigated the circuit thoroughly and gave the customer a few options on what to do. The customer decided to go ahead with changing all the light switches and light fittings to class 2. Fuseboard was also upgraded and earth bonding installed.

The job is now completed, I have printed out a label and left on the fuseboard mentioning about the lighting circuit has no earth.

Should I also fill out a risk assessment and print out and leave with the EIC at the fuseboard? ‘This is the first circuit I have installed class 2 items on so am a bit unsure,normally the customer gets it re-wired but on this occasion the customer didn’t want this carried out.
Attached is one I have filled out which I hope is correct.

Thanks for any advice given.7164C5EA-7A82-4D14-9C4E-F7CB864263BF.jpeg

That risk assessment is terrible.

An RCD does not reduce the risk of electric shock, it reduces the severity of a shock.

The idea of it being acceptable to fit plastic switches and put a sticker on the CU has no real basis in the regulations. It was proposed by the esc as a last resort if correcting the problem is impossible, not as a first choice option.

Can you give any advice on what would be better for the risk assessment please? As mentioned I have never done a risk assessment before.

Changing the switches and fittings to class 2 was a last resort option given to the customer which they wanted as they didn’t want me to rewire the circuit.

Can you give any advice on what would be better for the risk assessment please? As mentioned I have never done a risk assessment before.

Changing the switches and fittings to class 2 was a last resort option given to the customer which they wanted as they didn’t want me to rewire the circuit.

I can’t think of any way to risk assess this and not conclude that you are leaving a potentially dangerous installation.

For what reason did they not want it rewired?

also, i hope you capped the switch screw heads with plastic inserts.

All lights and switches without a earth present were changed to class 2 and all switches DO have screw caps fitted.

The customer had recently had all the rooms decorated and didn’t want any damage to be made to walls/ceilings so changing to class 2 was the only option.

Just make sure the EIC you provide CLEARLY states the situation, the guidance that no metal products should be used on the circuit(s) and that you advise them to have it rewired.

Then the "buck" is passed to them.

BS7671 can't cater for the stupid ..........

The customer had recently had all the rooms decorated and didn’t want any damage to be made to walls/ceilings so changing to class 2 was the only option.

Houses of this vintage tend to have the switch drops in conduit. So very often you can pull in new cable with no damage to the wall. I have a house to do like this shortly.

What should I do with regards to the risk assessment? Should I or should I not fill one out? I feel like I need to list all items within the property changed and have them listed with the EIC to ensure any future electricians entering the property do not change them to class 1 items just to cover this situation as much as I possibly can.

What should I do with regards to the risk assessment? Should I or should I not fill one out?.

You must surely have assessed the risks before you started work, so why not just document this? You didn’t just make this departure from the regulations without careful thought and planning did you?

Have you recorded this in the departures box on the EIC?

Catalogue

Home > Industry Labels > Electrical Labels > Labels for BS7671

No Provision For Earth Labels / Missing Circuit Protective Conductor Labels

Zoom
spacerv.gif
spacerv.gif

Our Price: £5.50(Exc. 20% VAT)(£6.60 Inc. VAT)
–+
<p><font class="subtext">(Details shown apply to the default selection)</font></p>
Choose Quantity:
Model: LP2082-50
Quantity: 50,100,250,500,1000
Size: 75mm x 50mm

(2 Reviews)

No Provision For Earth Labels/Missing Circuit Protective Conductor Labels
Size 75mm x 50mm

Material white vinyl

Adhesive Permanent

Additional Information
No Provision For Earth Labels (Also know as Missing Circuit Protective Conductor Labels) as Prescribed in BS7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations

Reply to Class 2 advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net